5.0 out of 5 stars The Archos 70b Internet Tablet and eBool Reader, 25 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Archos 70b eReader (Personal Computers)
The Archos 70b Internet Tablet and eBool Reader is really good. The quoted battery life for use as an eBook Reader is about 10 hrs, but I found that that was with the backlight set at 60%. Under most conditions I found that this was too bright and so I turned it down to its minimum level: more comfortable reading and longer reading time (12 - 14 hrs).

The Internet tablet is very useful and the screen is easy to navigate. The text may be enlarged by dragging near the bottom of the screen and a + - button appears to increase or decrease the print size. The only slight snag is the virtual keyboard. The screen needs to be clean (I use spectacle cleaner), calibrated and on a firm surface, otherwise it tends to select a letter close to the one that you wanted. This can be annoying.

The device runs on Android 2.1 and the Technical Helpline suggested a way of updating to Android 2.2 but this hasn't worked so far.

I have been unable to register fully with the App Market because the 70b does not appear on their drop-down list and until it does, I can't register the device with Archos or use the full extent of the app market.

Those niggles apart, I have found the Archos 70b very comfortable to handle and enjoyable to use.

One word of caution, I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions to get books and music that are still in copyright and then I bought a Sony eBook reader for my wife. Sony's software grabbed every single download that I made after that and so we had to uninstall the Sony software from my computer and put it onto the laptop that my wife uses. Since then, bliss!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Feb 2012 11:36:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Feb 2012 06:54:28 GMT
Alandil says:
Thank you for that review but wonder if you can help further? I was particularly interested that you have a Sony ereader. I also have a Sony (PRS 350) ereader which my husband is going to inherit. I am keen to experience a colour ereader and thinking of buying the Archos 70b. I realise it isn't going to be the quality of an 'Apple' but it's reasonably priced and does what I want (reading of books funnily enough!) What I'd like to know is whether it is readable in full day/sun light. At the moment I can use my Sony on a spanish beach with no problem, and I appreciate that the colour isn't going to be as good, but is it still readable? Many thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2012 19:31:09 GMT
I'm sorry to say that it is absolutely unreadable in bright sunlight. I used to be a professional photographer and I even got a black stocking out of the stock cupboard and tried stretching that across the screen to see if that would kill the reflections but still allow me to read reasonably: it didn't.
I now have a Digital Solutions Scroll 8" tablet. I prefer the 8" screen, I know that it doesn't sound like much, but it makes a big difference. However, the problem is the same in bright sunlight.
I think that if you want to read on the beach, you are going to have to find some sort of reader that uses e-ink to display the text. I would also advocate going to Adobe's web site and putting "Digital Editions" into the search box and this will bring up a list of devices compatible with Adobe Digital Editions, which will mean that you will be able to purchase e-books via book sellers, Waterstones, Foyle's, Blacklers etc. rather than just via Kindle / Amazon. I must say that I haven't been let down by Kindle / Amazon, it's just that I prefer to keep bookstores alive.
I hope that the answer wasn't too long and that it was of some use to you.
Geoff

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2012 06:51:14 GMT
Alandil says:
Many thanks. Disappointed but I'd rather know now than after spending out needlessly. Looks like it's another Sony. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2012 21:46:16 GMT
If you Google "The eBook Reader Blog" you can log into a site that gives regular updates to devices that are coming out and reviews of eReaders that are available. I think that I have read about a colour e-ink reader - possibly a Nook or a Barnes and Noble. You may want to check those out before getting another Sony.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2012 09:23:36 GMT
Alandil says:
Problem there is that I'm in the UK and the Nook is geared up to the US and apparently you can't use the WiFi facility to download here. Thanks anyway and I'm still enjoying looking for the perfect e-reader!Cheers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›