4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Durable BBQ, but also consider weight & convenience if using for camping/caravanning..., 4 May 2013
This review is from: Cadac Carri Chef Deluxe BBQ (Garden & Outdoors)
I write this review having now owned a Cadac Carri Chef Deluxe for 5 years.
Much has been said about it in other Amazon reviews, so I'll try not to emulate those & just give my overall impressions.

THE GOOD (and there is a lot to say here):

1) Extremely reliable piezo ignition & burner.
2) The burner is variable from as little heat as you need to as much heat as you need.
3) Good cooking area.
4) More versatile than anything else out there. Grills, fries, boils, barbecues & even works as an oven (with the lid). The Skottol even allows for cooking of paellas. stews, savoury rice, tagines and curries (you name it).
6) The various parts go together reasonably quickly & without drama.
7) Durable... Still in excellent nick after 5 years. Not even a chip to the enamel paintwork. I reckon it would (truly) last a lifetime.
8) The grill & frying plate (all-in-one) still have their FULL non-stick coating after 5 years of moderate use.
9) The lid doubles as a wind-break for the cooking area (there is a hook inside that sits on the lip of the barbecue).
10) The carry pouches for the cooking surfaces are good quality & protect them well. The entire thing (apart from the legs which have their own bag) stows away in its strong carry bag. This measures 50cmsx50cmsx50cms once everything is packed away into it.

THE BAD (very few, but...):

1) It is flipping heavy at 17kgs all-in.
2) It does take up a lot of boot space if purchased for camping/caravanning.
3) Despite using the lid as a windbreak, even moderate wind can quite easily blow the flame out (sorry, but it really can & the 2 star review here is totally correct about at least this fact). This may well apply to a lot of barbecues, though.
4) The Skottol is a great idea, although it is only coated with black enamel and care must be taken with the heat in order not to burn food on the bottom of it.
5) Apart from the barbecue, it doesn't really do anything any better than a domestic cooker can do (although the fact that it is as useful as a domestic cooker could be viewed as a pretty big positive, depending on your circumstances). I used it for caravanning & had a pretty decent cooker in my caravan anyway... Having said that it is nice just to cook outdoors sometimes...

When I purchased it I was in no doubt that it would be absolutely the best thing I could purchase to take away with us in my touring caravan, and as concerns quality & versatility I was proven 100% correct... So why am I currently selling it in favour of a much smaller & lighter gas barbecue that has no "bells or whistles"???
I'm selling it because I have finally realised that despite it being a great bit of kit, it really is such a faff to set up/clean & put away each time. It is also pretty heavy at 17kgs, and as stated it takes up a hell of a lot of boot space...
Over my years of camping & caravanning I have slowly come to realise that less really is often more. The current tabletop barbecue I have weighs just 2kgs with lid, takes up a third of the boot space that the cadac does despite having the same cooking area, has as powerful & variable a flame, also has piezo ignition and can be used as an (admittedly smaller) oven with the lid. I can also fry or boil stuff on it with the pans out of my caravan. It really is so much easier as concerns my circumstances (more time on holiday to relax & less dead weight to carry around). Having said that, it will be in the dustbin within 10 years of hard use, whilst anything made by Cadac will just go on & on...
Was I to barbecue more often at home, then I might just have kept it just for that...

To conclude: This really is a fabulous BBQ, but I did personally make the mistake of not thinking through exactly what I really wanted from a barbecue for my touring caravan holidays (but that certainly is not Cadac's fault). It is immensly durable (it WILL last a lifetime if cared for), and will suit most prospective buyers. My only advice is that buyers think through exactly what they want from a barbecue before taking the plunge.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Mar 2014 05:20:53 GMT
Fungle fella says:
Great review based on your experience. But what tabletop BBQ have you gone for now?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2014 10:35:40 GMT
Hi,
Ive got something called a "Pyramid Tabletop Barbecue" that doesnt appear to be available any more. Ive done a review of it here on Amazon (search my other reviews), and its just perfect for me (although not as solid as the Cadac).
The ad my review is attached to is still active, although the picture shown is of the "Royal Tabletop Barbecue", which some like & others don't (I decided against it when I was researching one).
Ive added to the bottom of my review advice for potential buyers to contact the seller before buying just to find out for sure.
If they have stopped producing the Pyramid one (and I think so), it's a shame. It has a more sizeable cooking surface than the "Royal" and is apparently easier to get on with.
Theres definitely a niche for a really good quality tabletop BBQ in the market.
Don't Cadac now do a tabletop version??? That might be more convenient than their full sized (and heavy) versions...
Regards.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2014 10:48:51 GMT
Hi again...
Found it here for £38 (I paid £30, but that was a couple of years ago): Copy & paste...

www.northwesterncaravans.co.uk/prod-pyramid-gas-table-top-gas-bbq-855.php

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2014 11:33:24 GMT
Fungle fella says:
Thanks for your legwork on this but it's out of stock until late April atbthe earliest. I've managed to possibly chase down other suppliers and am waiting on confirmation by tomorrow morning. If successful I'll update this. Once again thanks, I do appreciate your help.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2014 13:02:22 GMT
No worries & good luck... If you do get one do read my review of it (as it tells you how to use woodchips for smoking with it... a bit of an experiment for me, but it works fab)...

Posted on 26 May 2015 16:27:17 BDT
Hi, I am interested in purchasing the Cadac Carri Chef Deluxe 2014 BBQ and was wondering if it comes with a Propane Regulator, Hose & Clip? We have a motorhome and after reading your review, was wondering if it is going to be too big and heavy to take with us to France as there will be 4 adults and a dog, so maybe this extra weight is not advisable? I look forward to hearing your comments and thanks for your time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›