3.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing realese no extras at all, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who - The Enemy of the World [DVD] (DVD)
OK I know how fantastic that any classic story is discovered and I was so excited when the DVD arrived this morning, then my excitement dropped no extras at all. The Enemy of the world, sticks out like a sore thumb with the rest of season five, which was known as the monster season, but it kept the promises to Patrick Troughton that he would get a chance to stretch himself as an actor, although for me not my favourite story it shows what a good actor he was.
I know many have given this 5 stars saying how great this was but this could have been so great, lets face it no Commentary when Frazer Hines and Deborah Watling have had so few stories to do. The importance of going from 405 line to 625 line for the preparation of colour, this such a lost chance to have such great extras.
Now OK this has been rushed out so we get no extras at all (bar a coming soon trailer),but to have no production notes, as well, and nothing extra. This should have been a celebration as well as being the 50th year of the show. Think of all the great release we have had, and with the discovery of such an important find you would have hoped we would get more. we could have waited a bit as it was available for download so some thing could be added.
The problem I have is I just know give it a year and we will get a special edition with extras just like all the other releases. No Doctor who DVD except the very first had no extras...oh it had subtitles!!.
please don't get me wrong, I love Dr who and the finding of any story is just "Fantastic",I just do not like being ripped off, as Dr Who fans. This is almost like the old double VHS issues back in the 80's. Yes it is my choice to buy it but, as BBC worldwide know we fans are an obsessive lot and like our collections complete. So This is a very poor show infact lazy for such an important discovery.
According to Worldwide it took on average two years to prepare the extras for the classic series, and this is obviously a rushed release, and yes as it has not been on TV since its original broadcast, I can understand the rush, however this is the 50th year, and a celebration of the complete series so to have nothing is, well pretty poor.
Please note I am not giving this 5 stars because the complete package is not up to the high standard of other DVD's and is not perfect at all and I want everyone to know what they are buying, and i am amazed people are defending the fact that it has no extras, are you nuts!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2013 21:31:07 GMT
J Bullock says:
Nice to see you have the release as opposed to all the guessing from the reviews before the actual release.

Posted on 25 Nov 2013 21:43:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2013 21:49:32 GMT
Robbie says:
I agree. I wouldn't have minded if they were charging something like 12.99 rrp instead but it's the fact that they've charged exactly the same price as normal and put absolutely nothing extra on it that really makes me angry. All of us who have preordered it expecting a proper release with all the works have been ripped off. And yes you're right. This time next year they'll be a special edition with tons of special features included. Now I think that if you keep your proof of purchase you should be entitled to the special edition (when it comes out) at a heavily discounted price. But pigs might fly.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2013 22:02:51 GMT
Robbie i so agree you just no a special edition will happen, what did 2 entertain say, oh we re visited the old issues because the extras were light, oh they should eat there words.

Posted on 25 Nov 2013 22:41:54 GMT
It was lacking in extras but there was a trailer of all of 30 seconds!!! not enough I agree they could have put a few clips from the news when they found the missing episodes ta least? or even an old trailer from the BBC must exist? or at the very least a quick interview?

Posted on 26 Nov 2013 10:24:23 GMT
Its not a con or a rip off and no-one forced you to buy!!!! 2Entertain, Doctor Who News Page, DWO, the official BBC site and indeed Amazon ALL clearly stated this release would be barebones. This only highlights that people should pay more attention to what they're buying.

It's extremely disappointing for sure but it was well known, amongst everyone I know, that this was going to be extras free, probably due to the quick turnaround. Therefore, I'll be sticking with my itunes download for the time being and keeping my £14.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2013 11:06:02 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Nov 2013 17:38:12 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2013 12:26:11 GMT
I agre that last post was unfair, I somehow missed all the hype(was on holiday) and even tho it may have been stated there would be no extras it is STILL a con to charge FULL PRICE when there is nothing extra! a quick interview tacked on or a few clips from the odd news story(must have been mentioned on the news?) at least something

Posted on 26 Nov 2013 12:27:18 GMT
Personally Im not really bothered about the lack of extras, I bought the enemy of the world for the main programme, not for documentarys.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2013 17:46:40 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Nov 2013 21:32:23 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2013 18:59:22 GMT
Fair enough. Im just pleased to have this in my collection, which I never thought I would. But personally I never watch the special features, mainly because I never have the time, and when I do I'd rather watch the main program.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›