27 of 32 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: MyGuide 3218 Satellite Navigation System with UK & Eire Maps (Electronics)Some context: I bought this to replace a TomTom OneXL I had stolen when my car was broken into. This product when compared to more expensive models is absolute garbage.
1) When adding a new desitnation, if you do not indicate (easy to miss) that your new destination replaces a previously added destination it assumes you STILL WANT TO GO TO YOUR ORIGINAL DESTINATION FIRST!
2) The lag is terrible, which results in the distance countdown (eg, to a turn) being out by 200+ feet, resulting in missed turns!
3) Most roads peripheral to your main route ARE NOT SHOWN at all on the screen!
4) The roads on your planned route display large while ALL other roads display small, even when your route includes small roads!
5) Within 300 ft of ANY roundabout, the blasted thing shuts off the normal map and shows you only the roundabout. This causes no end of pain if you begin your journey within this distance to a roundabout.
6) Screen is too small for your finger - have to use stylus.
7) It sometimes gets confused in one way systems and will direct you round and round the one way system in an infinite loop.
8) On every start up you must agree to some license agreement, even though you have checked the 'Don't show this agreement anymore' box.
Don't get me wrong, this thing 'Does the job', but barely. It navigates OK. Route planning is OK. But it's a pile of garbage and I wish I had splashed out on a new TomTom again.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Sep 2009 16:54:07 BDT
Miss E. Thompson says:
Absolutely right, I bought one and it's the biggest load of rubbish I've ever had. I thought I could get lost without satnav, I certainly got lost with this one. One bad thing you missed-out was that you have to turn it off or reset it to add another destination, otherwise it takes you somewhere set previously!
In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2009 09:59:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Sep 2009 10:00:55 BDT
Arlen Bales says:
You are right Elaine! This is one of the most irritating "features" in a satnav. In fact you don't need to reset it to add a new destination, but you have to manually indicate that the new destination REPLACES the previous one.
For example, if you are driving towards Abc Street and you change your mind, pull the car over, set a new route to Zyx Street (but without moving it to the top of the list), then after route "recalculation" continue on your journey, BE WARNED - IT STILL THINKS THAT YOU WANT TO GO TO YOUR ORIGINAL DESTINATION FIRST!! So the damned thing takes you to ABC street!!!
Throw it in the trash and buy another one!
In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2009 10:18:08 GMT
T. McCONNELL says:
MyGuide 3218 Satellite Navigation System with UK & Eire Maps
Does this machine show the speed limit for the stretch of road on which one is currently travelling?
This is all I wish to learn from a Sat.Nav.
Posted on 18 Apr 2010 10:07:17 BDT
J. Groves says:
Have just bought one from Bentham Ltd - and mine doesn't work at all! It won't pick up a GPS signal.
Posted on 10 Sep 2010 17:30:28 BDT
Richard Oldroyd says:
Having read PMMartin's review, I have to say that I've not found a number of his findings: I use my fingernail to program the unit, not the stylus. All roads are displayed if you select the 2D view instead of the 3D. It is a budget unit, but it's not at all bad for the money.
In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2010 17:32:29 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 10 Sep 2010 17:33:00 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›