1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of time, 28 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Key: The Missing Secret for Attracting Anything You Want (Hardcover)
This is my second attempt at writing a comment. My first attempt must have been too extreme.

I didn't like this book at all. Why?

Because it gives you false hope. I'll explain: Yes I believe that everything in the Universe, including our thoughts, are connected. But the problem with books like The Key, The Secret, The Attraction Factor, are that you send out the wrong thoughts. The thoughts you are sending out to the Universe are 'I'm not satisfied with what I have. I want this, and I want that.' You are sending out thoughts of weakness. The thoughts you are sending are not your's but those of your ego. You are not empowering yourself with attaining your desires, you are living in hope that the Universe will provide them for you.

This is how the law of attraction really works: You focus your attention on what you have at this moment - now. True happiness comes from within. When you are truly happy without the need for attachments the things you want will become attracted to you.

This book will temporarily lift your spirits. If your attractions come to you, you will thank the book. If they don't you'll end up extremely disappointed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Sep 2008 23:25:01 BDT
love reading says:
I've only read the Secret but I find your comments very sensible. I agree contentment is the key to happiness and that's difficult to achieve when you are promised any material possession you can think of.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2008 11:00:59 GMT
yes, and when you are greatful for the good that you already have... and when you are clear of all the things that you want to change in your life (material or emotional) then all will fit into place

Posted on 31 Jan 2009 18:21:13 GMT
You've provided as fine a synopsis of the Law of Attraction as I've ever seen. Good things come to those who are in a fit state to not only notice but also to grasp hold of them. That doesn't happen in a state of "world-owes-me-ism."

Posted on 28 Feb 2009 20:52:23 GMT
What you said concerning the summary of how to attract things in life is PERFECT. I might also add the following:

-Be grateful for what you have (like you said)
-Ask for anything, just ANYTHING!!!
-Dont dare and think of how it will come to you (if you do, it will only slow down the process)

Posted on 1 Dec 2009 20:10:05 GMT
Majic says:
I don't get that message from the Secret and similar books at all. In fact 'be grateful for what you have' is emphasised throughout the book, and Rhonda Byrne has even written another book devoted entirely to gratitude! I am amazed at how many people have read the Secret and focused only on the aquisition of material wealth, disregarding the fact that the same principles are meant to be applied to every area of life, relationships, career etc. In fact, we all use the principle unconsciously to obtain anything that we really want, otherwise we would achieve nothing in life.
The Secret is about tapping into your own Higher Self, and harnessing your own universal energy to attract the things that will make you happy and fulfilled. And happy people project positive energy into the world. Your philosophy is fine if you are born into a lifestyle which makes you happy from the start, it sounds very compacent to me, and lacking in empathy for those less fortunate - speaking as one who has had to contend with many challenges in life, and who has lived life programmed by my parents to think that life had to be hard and one should always disregard one's own needs, I know that reading the Secret changed my life completely. I have been able to reflect and realise how the decisions and choices I made previously have brought me unhappiness, because I knew no better, and I can honestly say that the Universe, or my universal self, has started to provide exactly what I need. I still need to disentangle myself from the messes I have previously made, but I am going forward with confidence, guilt-free and above all,with a positive attitude and a copy of The Secret in my hand.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2010 18:57:13 GMT
Well said, my friend. You've hit the nail right on the head. I think too that our reviewer is a tad too complacent, and maybe had a bit of an easy ride through life. Our reviewer seems to think that if our attractions come back to us, then we will thank the book. I think not. It is the Universe that we should be grateful to, not only for what we would like to have in the future, but what we already have and have achieved in our lives. Why is it I get the impression that, somewhere along the way, our reviewer has had perhaps a large disappointment in his/her life? Gratitude about what we already have is the first step towards achieving our goals. Rhonda Byrne has made this point quite clearly both in the Secret DVD and also in the book, and in the Secret Daily Teachings book. Such gratitude that we put out into the Universe, has absolutely nothing to do with the assertion made by our reviewer that "I want this, I want that, I'm not satisfied with what I have." If we did in fact put out such manifestations to the Universe, then by the Law of Attraction, the Universe would send us back the EXPERIENCE of wanting those things, rather than the things themselves ! And we would therefore STILL be in a state of lack and feeling pretty disappointed and frustrated! This just ain't got nothing to do with 'ego'. The trick which I believe needs to be learned here is that not only should we be grateful for what we have already, AND what we want in the future, BUT also to live our lives in the present as though we ALREADY HAVE those things we want and to feel the JOY that comes with having those things. If one desires something or a situation, without feeling the gratitude and the joy NOW (even before we receive these things we want), then we will always feel in a state of lack, disappointed, cynical, clingy and needy. The Law of Attraction does work. It gives us whatever it is we're feeling at the time. We need therefore to put out both gratitude and JOY, both for the things we have in the present as well as the things we desire to have .

Posted on 29 Apr 2010 12:45:57 BDT
Arckin says:
I read this comment a number of times and support every word of it, individuals who makes claim in their books, will not tell the reader the great levles work one must put in for it to work.;

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2012 00:52:04 GMT
You only give yourself false hope! Joe has given you the tools, it's up to you how you use them or abuse them!

Posted on 25 Feb 2014 09:36:36 GMT
Very wise comments! There is another factor, which is planetary line up from your birth.

Jupiter is responsible for acquirement, and this would depend not only on its house of placement; but whether it is squared (bad) conjunction(either way) without getting to tedious; a lot comes into play called Destiny!

Fate decrees the outcome; it is the acceptance of this, and the freedom of choice that you are given; to approach with either a cheery heart, miserable persona, ungrateful attitude, or a wise and clear understanding.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›