1,712 of 1,774 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, 23 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation] (Electronics)
Having fun with my Kindle Fire - Great for reading, watching films/TV and listening to music. Great media consumption device. Browsing the web is easy and quick. The whole thing is just great to have on the table. So many films and shows to watch (I love horror movies and have been catching up on the old Black and white B movies)....

I have had problems with magazines, the formatting poor for the titles I have tried, I guess they are trying to catch up with the 7"inch concept... maybe panel views would be better for this type of reading.

I have seen a lot of 1 star reviews and read them - seem most are complaining about not being able to buy the device at all due to where they live, or people who do not even own the device just touting other products. Not sure why such reviews are left up as they are not product reviews.

To address a few of the reviews that do seem to at least come from people who have bought one..

That it is flimsy: The Kindle fire is anything but flimsy, it is solid and has a bit of weight to it making it feel very sturdy/solid.

Takes ages to connect to wi-fi: When I switched on my K-Fire the first thing it asked was for my network password, it then connected, so from hitting the on switch to connecting to the wi-fi was around 40 seconds, after that it connects within seconds everytime you turn the device on.

Advertising is invasive: I have the model that has advertising - it is just a screensaver at the initial screen where you unlock the device, thats it - you see it for a few seconds, and its then gone.

Books take ages to download: Books download within seconds, video streaming is around a 8-10 second delay to start but then plays films with no buffering (hell my PC is custom built for gaming with fast cpu/graphics cards/wi-fi card - and it buffers on the same wi-fi that the kindle has no problems with). I think this is more to do with people having poor internet connections which is not the devices fault.

The only thing I am disapointed with is the fact I bought this a few weeks ago for £130.00 and today it's on sale for £99.00 as part of their Black Friday sale.... that's £30 worth of music/films/other items I could have gotten if I had held of for a bit (it's not as though the fire has been out for a while and we could expect to see the price fall).

with that said - at £130 this is a great device - at £99... seriously you should be buying it this instant.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 48 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 20:06:59 GMT
Fiale says:
I have dozens on mine at the moment and it's hardly dented the memory. With wi-fi everywhere you can delete things from the device and download other items - personally though it's rather mute for me because I have wi-fi access nearly all the time so can just use the cloud storage which will hold everything you own on your Amazon account giving you instant access.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 20:36:44 GMT
S. Iq1102 says:
Thanks for that!! Really wana buy kindle fire hope I can find it in offer somewhere

Posted on 2 Dec 2012 18:29:39 GMT
S. Iq1102 says:
hi iam interesting in buying this kindle fire mainly for reading books but also cause i have 2small children i thought it could be good for them to use the kids app's. i just need to know is 8gb enough ? what do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012 10:19:52 GMT
ADG says:
Does this Kindle version have a built in light please ?

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 13:08:56 GMT
just bought this and cannot connect to wi fi. Haven't a clue hot to rectify it. Any advice

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 03:17:03 GMT
Fiale says:
Double tap the device and go to home screen (if your not alredy in it) - swipe down from the top of the device screen to get the options menu, click wireless, there will be a list of all the wireless devices in range, choose yours, enter your wifi-network password and you should be good to go.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 23:29:22 GMT
S. Iq1102 says:
Jus bought my kindle fire loving it but where's the volume button???

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 19:00:31 GMT
i am at university and want to take something other than my laptop in daily to make notes - will the 'fire' be sufficient. i already have two kindles full of books, so not too bothered by this. Can anyone advise me at all or provide any links to use?

Posted on 12 Jan 2013 13:20:48 GMT
I have an old kindle n love how it looks like the page in a book, does the kindle fire lose this aspect as I was thinking of upgrading?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2013 14:12:54 GMT