4.0 out of 5 stars Pix so good, I can't believe I took them, 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S8200 Compact Digital Camera - Silver (16.1MP, 14x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I finally worn out my poor Canon Powershot SX200 (I'm not a photographer but I take up to 200-300 pix a week as part of my work, plus nature photos at weekends, so I need something I can stuff into pockets, backpacks, handbags and briefcases). Convinced by the reviews on this site, I decided to give the S8200 a go.

I've given it 4 stars rather than 5 because the first one I received locked up when on full optical zoom - the entire camera froze, and the only way I could release it was to take the battery out. Nikon help line were great, and Amazon despatched the replacement before I'd managed to put the old one in the post to them! Then, the second one did it as well! But it's such a great camera, I decided to persevere, and with Nikon's help we managed to fix it by resetting the factory settings, and it's been fine ever since.

I don't much like Nikon's software for downloading and viewing - it's a cluttered screen and far more complicated to download than it needs to be, so I just use my old Canon software for that, but the Nikon software is very much better for editing.

But as for the camera itself, all I can do is echo some of the other reviews. The photos I've had from it so far are just stunning - I can't believe it was me that took them! I tested it out at a zoo, and even photos taken zoomed through grubby glass were awesome - it focused past the muck really well! The clarity and colour are amazing, and even I've found the settings and menus easy to work through. The macro shots are incredibly clear as well.

I'm not techie enough to go into the fine details of what the camera can do, and other reviewers have covered that really well, so read their comments and buy this camera. Despite the false start, this is the best compact camera I've owned, and I really do ask a lot of them.

Don't take too much notice of some people's comments about the flash popping up where you hold it. I've not had a problem with it. I guess it just depends on how much you need to grab your camera, but it's so light I often use it one handed anyway.

But do get a spare battery - it gets through them really quickly when reviewing on the monitor. The downloading using the USB cable is a bit hit and miss as well, so best get a card reader for that.

So, a great camera, despite a false start, and I'm glad I persevered with it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Aug 2012 07:52:51 BDT
A.Bell says:
Personally, I found the automatic flash to be extremely annoying as I said in my review. If you aren't going to take constructive criticism seriously, why bother writing reviews and why should people take yours seriously ?

Posted on 18 Oct 2012 09:28:09 BDT
Crookedmouth says:
Great review.

Do you know, is it possible to set the file name to a "date time" format? My photos all seem to be saving with a simple "001" format and I can't find any reference in the manual as to how to change it.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2012 16:35:27 GMT
worldtrekker says:
I don't doubt that you found the flash annoying, but in the interests of balance I felt it would be helpful to other potential buyers to know that this isn't necessarily a problem to everyone. Just because I didn't find the flash a problem the way you did doesn't invalidate the rest of my comments, or yours for that matter. No need to take it so personally!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›