5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens, 24 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens (Camera)
I just got this lens a day or two ago, so I cannot say much in detail. I use it with a Canon EOS 700D Digital SLR Camera - (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens, 18MP, CMOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD kit (also bought recently) where it perfectly supplements the kit lens. I need the whole bundle for primarily making small videos to be used on the internet (YouTube) plus a limited amount of traditional photo tasks, for instance portraits and photos for blogs and websites.

The 55-250 lens comes with a nice little instruction guide, which is quite good and useful. For instance it tells that you may put only one filter on the lens at a time (but not why this is so). The lens is only slightly heavier (less light) than the kit lens but it feels solid. The all-plastic design seems to be possible today and therefore it is used. If the use of plastic materials had been as developed and advanced 30 years ago, they would have made plastic lenses also then.

The recommended lens hood is ET-63, but this is not yet for sale. I tried to buy an ET-60 (good for the previous version of the lens, the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens) but it has a different fitting and cannot be used. Instead I am using the Canon EW-63C lens hood for EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM objective - and just share it between this and the kit lens until the ET-63 shows up.

For the 55-250 I bought also the lens pouch that Canon recommends, the Canon LP1019 Lens Pouch for E7530056/2/2 & /3, EF7530040U/2 & /3, EF10030045U. It fits lenses with a much larger diameter as well, so this lens doesn't fill it out completely. But it works and the pouch has a good quality - worth the money, I would say.

The autofocus seems to be very slow. Especially during video recordings - it often moves back and forth for a while without finding anything to fix on, at times giving up completely. Maybe this is a consequence of the missing settings for this lens in the camera? Its distortion corrections are disabled for this lense due to missing data, it says on the screen. I suppose that a firmware upgrade for the camera is needed, but none seems to be available. For me the focus time is not a major issue as I am not making videos of anything or anyone which is moving around. The AF works, btw., absolutely without making any sounds, which goes for the kit lens too.

From the few test shots and videos I have made, I didn't notice any kind of distortion. In my eyes the pictures are very good. Of course, the lens is not the fastest - it requires more light or needs a higher ISO etc., which affects the quality, but under the right conditions it seems to deliver excellent photos.

All in all, I am happy with the lens - looking forward to the lens hood and the firmware upgrade for the camera, whenever these appear, but until then the lens will still help me make more exciting videos where I am not always shown in half figure. The STM lenses make shure that no camera noises will ruin the videos and the large zoom area covers everything I need.

Let's see how things develop. So far I am very satisfied with the the lens and the set. The release date of all things connected (hood, camera firmware and lens) should have been better coordinated, but I was just early out - I could have waited, bought the previous version of the lens, or perhaps settled for the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens - which probably would have matched my needs perfectly. But I am happy with being up and running now and having the extended range of the two lenses: then I can use it if I see the need.

Edit: Now, a few days later, I have had a chance to go for a walk with the lens (and the camera) and I am much more positive now to the AF speed. It works fine and quite fast in normal light conditions at all distances. Only video continuous AF is not as I would have preferred it: it actually doesn't change focus while the camera is moving - only when the camera is still, the AF slowly fixates on the motive. This is still useful when, say, you are filming one person and then pan to another - the short focus delay will seem on the video almost as if you had done the focusing manually.
I managed to shoot pictures in all angles to the sun - and in the shade as well, and to make macro and short and long tele photos. When studied cloesely at a good computer screen the pictures made are all of a very high quality, technically speaking - I cannot find any CA or other problems with any of them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Sep 2013 22:04:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2013 00:33:53 BDT
No Crisis says:
If you take a look at my company profile at Google Plus, at plus.google.com/110316455344629962662 (hopefully Amazon will display this address), you can see a cropped version of one of the photos that I added to this product page. Looking at the rear gull on the picture, there is an ugly shadow around it. It must be CA (or jpeg?). So it does exist on this lens, under these extreme light conditions. The ugliness discovered, for instance, around the goose's head is the cause of jpeg - it wasn't on the RAW picture. And I say "wasn't" because Windows Explorer unfortunately ruined the SD card when I was viewing the pictures on it (I rotated one of the pictures 90 degrees left and then it wanted to save that - but deleted the card instead, it seems).

I am almost sure that the CA seen here would be corrected by the camera, had it had the updated firmware.

As it is additionally visible on the big picture, the big black shadow in the background of the picture is actually more detailed than came out of the jpeg size reductions - first by Paint, then by Amazon. Just yet another reminder that when seeing something on the internet, you cannot really trust it. You need to see full pictures, not the cropped ones. Unless, of course, you are going to use the pictures on the internet - then the internet versions are just right for evaluating the lens :)

Edit: Hurray! I managed to save the pictures, using some software I found on the Internet. And when studying the gull and the presumed CA in Canon's ImageBrowser EX (the .CR2 image) even at a high zoom level I can see that there is no CA - the jpeg format made it look this way but actually there is only a small amount of natural blurring because the focus was on the goose in the front, not the gull in the background. The photo is btw. shot at 200mm and is (the goose) perfectly sharp. No signs of the "tele softness" mentioned in some reviews of the previous version of the lens.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2013 13:49:08 GMT
JCS says:
Plug your DSLR into the computer and open EOS Utility, Click on camera settings and remote shooter, click on peripheral illumin. correct. Click on the EF-S Lens then tick EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM. please note you may need to download the latest EOS Utility from canon if you can't see that lens.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›