5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book, 25 April 2007
This review is from: The Encyclopaedia of Curtains (Hardcover)
I have been designing and making curtains professionally for over 25 years and bought this book in 1997. I have many books on curtain making & soft furnishings as I am constantly striving for improvement (although my customers are always delighted!!!) and this book has helped me no end with my business.

It's one of my favourites and is packed with useful information with lots of professional tips clearly outlined. The author stresses that there are no RIGID rules to curtain making as styles evolve and you can adapt the instructions to suit.

There's a brief section outlining the history of the curtain, stating that we can learn a great deal by seeing how our ancestors dealt with the problems facing us today, which I found fascinating.

The book teaches you about the different fabrics, how to work out how much fabric to use, measuring essentials, awkward windows, sewing machines & how to get the best out of them, poles & tracks, how to make pelmets & blinds of all kinds, and much, much more.

It shows traditional styles of window treatments (which never go out of fashion) and also the more contemporary, modern styles.

I have found that most customers who want bespoke soft furnishings expect them to last and therefore usually chose traditional styles anyway with an individual twist (which sets them apart from the shop bought styles)- the details that make the difference - and for that purpose the pictures and styles in this book are invaluable.

I found the instructions clear and easy to follow so I would recommend this book for the beginner or professional alike.

I can honestly say that, even though it's fairly expensive compared to some inferior titles(which I wish I hadn't wasted my money on), I have certainly got my money's worth out of this book.

For the professional - I would also recommend The Curtain Design Directory, also by Merrick and Day which is another essential reference book! Hope this helps!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]