4.0 out of 5 stars Some like it hot!, 22 Sep 2009
This review is from: Caribbean Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
If you're not sure who Levi Roots is, he's the dread-locked singer who slayed the Dragons of the Dragons' Den with his Reggae Reggae Sauce a couple of years back.

I like to buy cook books, but I'm a 'sit and eat a crunchie whilst looking at the pictures' sort of cook and although the images looked appetising, I thought the book would just join the others in the cupboard.

Wrong!

The first thing that I made were the pecan and pumpkinseed muffins - and they were delicious. I didn't have pecans, but I substituted broken walnuts and they were delightful. I made them with two small boys who pretty much wolfed them down before they had even cooled!

The second dish was the honey, grenadine and ginger roasted lamb with pomegranate and mint salad. It was absolutely divine! In fact, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

What I liked about it is that SO FAR just about everything is available to me in some form or another (dried/tinned). I live on a small Scottish island and I can't honestly say that about several of my other cookery books.

Why have I not given the book 5 stars? Well, I would have given it 4.5* if I could have. And my only criticism is the HEAT!!!!! Scotch Bonnets are absolutely fearsome, heatwise - only a well-seasoned (pun!) chili fan will be able to take the full heat of some of the unaltered recipes ;-)

However, you don't need to use the Scotch Bonnets - use something larger and milder. It might take one wrong meal to find out what's to your taste - but after that, Levi Roots' book will add a whole new chapter to your cooking.

Mr Roots isn't a fancy chef, he's a cook - and a rather good one ;-)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]