3.0 out of 5 stars Ultra to Fitbit One and now the Flex????, 17 Nov. 2012
I have worn my fitbit Ultra almost continuously since it arrived last January and recently upgraded to the One. It continues to be the most motivating device I have ever found to keep me moving more, walking further and more regularly and even losing weight. But is it worth another £80 to upgrade from a working Ultra to the One?
Pros:
It is MUCH clearer and easier to read, especially in bright light.
I love the fact that it will bluetooth my progress to my iphone and find it surprisingly motivating to check my steps and stairs whilst away from my computer.
Inspirational messages sent to the phone DO inspire me.
The wrist band in which to wear it at night to track your sleep is a much better design and it is easy to read the fitbit through the mesh window and turn it off and on whilst in the band.
The Alarm works well - and is a brilliant additional feature - probably less likely to wake you up from DEEP sleep but enough to wake you to go for an early run without waking your partner - A feature of which I will avail myself - ONE DAY.
Cons:
It does really have to be worn in its little cradle and, although it has not fallen out yet - it does seem a little insecure to the extent that I am tempted to wear it facing inwards and lose the waterproof effect provided by the cradle.
It has to be plugged into a USB port to charge it for two hours every week - as I used to charge and sync the Ultra whilst in the shower for 15 mins every day, I will have to find two hours in the week when I am likely to be continually sitting at the computer - so far one full charge has just lasted for one week.
It does not link via Bluetooth to any but the latest i-pad. I had overlooked this in the literature.
ANOTHER £80 is a lot of money if your Ultra is still working its motivational magic.
Six Months later...
My fears about the cradle have been realised and I have had to replace it as the rubber split despite the fact that it I was very careful with it because it looked vulnerable.
The wrist band has lost its firmness and the Fitbit has a tendency to fall out of it at night.
I HAVE been able to charge it daily as I did the Ultra for 15 mins as before and have had no problems at all.
The interface on the computer has been upgraded and I really like the new look - it is easy to use and very clear and the sync to i-phone via Bluetooth works extremely well - I use it all the time.
This is still an excellent and motivational device and the few niggles over the peripheral 'hardware' have not prevented it continuing to work its magic.
And now there is a Flex - an improvement, I suspect, in terms of the problems I have had with the wristband and cradle but it DOES NOT COUNT FLOORS - I like this facility in the Ultra. Nevertheless I am saving up another £80 to spend when they include the funky coloured wristbands as alternatives in the original price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Nov 2012 19:08:10 GMT
I would like to ask if the ultra it is waterproof like the fitbit one?
thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 21:01:28 GMT
According to the manufacturers -The One™ is also rain, splash,
and sweat-proof which is a bit more water resistant than the Ultra.

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 22:03:27 GMT
what would you recommend?
as waterproof gadget
the fitbit one or the ultra?
I thought to buy one but I don't see any difference with them two apart from the price
thank for the early reply!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jun 2013 10:14:33 BDT
Adrius42 says:
It is NOT water proof, it is JUST splash proof.

Posted on 26 Jun 2013 09:14:20 BDT
My Fitbit One is my constant companion. I love the fact that it motivates me to take those extra steps, climb that extra floor, get physical. I have lost the weight I was trying to lose for so long. It's the best £80 I have spent for a long time. My only niggle is that I would like to be able to purchase extra silicone cradles, in different colours. Although the cradle is very discreet ( I wear it attached to my bra facing inwards) the colour (burgundy) can sometimes show through my clothes, so a white cradle would be a great option. Otherwise I can't recommend the Fitbit One enough.

Posted on 8 Jul 2013 15:52:48 BDT
Silas says:
1. If the rubber cradle which holds the Fitbit One onto its clip is as frail as it looks, would it help if one kept the Fitbit in the cradle permanently, thereby reducing the stress on the rubber of inserting it (by stretching the cradle) daily?
2. And if that might prolong the life and grip of the cradle, could one put the whole, but larger, unit (Fitbit, cradle and clip - as one) into the wrist-band for sleeping? Would the Fitbit be able to pick up one's night-time movements through the back of the rubber cradle (when facing outwards, and therefore readable)?
3. If not, for sleeping, might it be possible to insert the whole unit into the band with its readable face turned inwards, thereby making it unreadable during the night, but more likely to be able to read one's pulse, or whatever it does in order to measure one's sleep?
Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker
One Fitbit fitness tracker, burgundy
One Fitbit fitness tracker black

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2013 17:53:47 BDT
Lady Macbeth says:
Unfortunately the 'One' has to be taken out of its clip both to charge and to put into the wristband. It will not fit into the wristband with the clip. As I have got into the habit of charging it every day and I put it in the wristband at night the rubber cradle has not lasted at all well. I have replaced it with a USB memory stick holder found on Amazon as recommended by one of the forums and this is more bulky but also more robust.
I think the 'One' measures movement not pulse rate at night to analyse sleep patterns. It is still, in my opinion, an excellent tracker but let down by these poorer quality connections.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2013 19:33:10 BDT
Silas says:
Thanks. On Amazon.co.uk, I've found 6 pages of USB memory-stick holders. The few that appear on the thumb-nail photo to have an attachment for the string I need to put round my neck or tie onto my belt, are advertised as holding a number of memory-sticks. Would you be so kind as to tip me off which of them would best suit the Fitbit One?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2013 20:27:58 BDT
USB Shuttle Drive, Holds 2, Blue Mesh Finish
This is the one I bought and although a little bulky it does the job well and holds the 'One' very securely.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2013 20:40:58 BDT
Silas says:
Thanks again, Lady MacB. I'll give it a 'go'!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›