5.0 out of 5 stars From an apple hater, I've been wrong all these years. Still hate apple but love the IPOD, 1 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 120GB - Black (Electronics)
Firstly I used to be an apple hater, have always used Archos and creative labs and been very happy with both. Still thought as I've never meet a person who regrets buying an Ipod that there might be something in these players..So I put my money where my doubts were.
Firstly, my biggest hate for the IPOD is Itunes, I rip my music and already had thousand of tracks and really don't want to have to give a credit card to Itunes so that I can start transferring my music but you have to.. Now other than that the actual player is excellent. Once I got my head around the fact that as a non Itune guy that you can not just drag and drop your track onto you Ipod.

The player is light and sturdy and the head phones even more lightweight- firstly ditch the enclosed headphones and invest in a decent set of phones.
The player is excellent in the controls and style. Although I don't think you want this for Video invest in an archos for your films.
The sound of my MP3s is impressive and full, with GOOD VOLUME.
Some reviewers have said that the volume is an issue.. No the Ipod is loud you can set the maximum volume in the setting but this isn't the actual playing volume just the upper limit!! - whenever the Ipod is turned on it will start to broadcast at half volume by default, this is fine as a quick spin on your finger on the control wheel will put the volume to a level that is load enough to share the tunes with the person trying to sit next to you in silence. It will then stay there as you continue to play with the player.
As for the colour comments, gun metal black is the new true black and that is what this one is very macho. The mat black also is very smudge resistant.

PROS.
-Lots of accessories
-Excellent controls,
-Itunes (if you want to buy or download podcasts)
-Screen and sound quality is excellent
-Nice gunmetal black
-Very good battery life
-Good volume once you realise you need to give a quick flick
-I like the way Ipod pauses if you unplug your headphone so you don't miss a drop.

CONS
-Itunes (no option to avoid if you want to just use windows explorer)
-No drag and drop on any PC only on Itunes at home
-Screen not really good enough for watching movies (maybe TV shows or Videocasts)

Conclussion, I love the Ipod classic but am lukewarm over Itunes. However, I'm buying into Ipod not Itunes (try media monkey software for an alternative).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Nov 2008 18:40:51 GMT
M HALL says:
You do not need to register a credit card to transfer songs.

Posted on 8 Nov 2008 19:45:18 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 8 Dec 2009 11:52:41 GMT]

Posted on 20 Nov 2008 15:28:06 GMT
Mr. R. Allan says:
If you set your Ipod to Manual transfer, you can drag and drop songs from any computer that has Itunes. Just make sure that their Itunes is set to Manual aswell or else you'll overwrite your library with theirs.

Posted on 30 Nov 2008 22:21:41 GMT
SuzieShep says:
You can use your cds and rip it to the itunes. You don't need to buy from itunes but it is slightly easier and handy if you want the song at 1 oclock in the morning!

Posted on 3 Dec 2008 15:19:58 GMT
A. Behm says:
dunno where you get the idea that you have to give your credit card to itunes. I have used itunes for 6 or 7 years now and I have never once given them my credit card. I rip songs, I transfer songs from other applications/locations and I even make my own recordings, but I have never once been asked for a credit card. Find your folder of ripped songs from whichever application you used before iTunes and just drag'n'drop it into the window. done.

Also, as someone here already said, make sure that you have your iPod switched to manual organisation in the iTunes preferances. I erased my first iPod twice before I realised that.

Posted on 4 Dec 2008 13:04:08 GMT
Russell says:
If you don't want to use iTunes, have a play with Rockbox (www.rockbox.org). That gives drag-and-drop transfer of songs onto the iPod, plus it will play formats that Apple doesn't like, for example FLAC.

Posted on 7 Dec 2008 10:50:07 GMT
Russell has right you can try Rockbox.
But if its seem too difficult use Mediamonkey instead of iTunes.
Much much much better.
Everybody sould forget iTunes.

Posted on 16 Dec 2008 09:10:52 GMT
R. Sullivan says:
You don't need to register your CCard with iTunes to import music but you do if you want it to automatically pick up the artwork. Otherwise it's a manual job.

I do it manually as I have no intention of giving a company my CCard details when I have no intention of buying something from them.

Posted on 22 Dec 2008 08:50:51 GMT
Simon says:
I don't use iTunes either - can't abide it. It's slow, cumbersome and does a load of stuff automatically I just don't want and need.

Personally I have disabled the iPod helper service on my PC (so iTunes doesn't load when you plug the iPod in) and use Winamp instead.

Posted on 25 Dec 2008 20:29:36 GMT
Personally, I find iTunes the simplest program available for which to transfer music. I don't understand your drag and drop theory, as stated by a previous comment, once the preferences have been altered to 'manual' you are given complete freedom over your entire library. As for giving your credit card details, this is only required as a form of payment for which to download songs from the iTunes music store. Alternatively, if you still don't trust Apple with your details, voucher cards are available which can be used instead but with no details necessary. In conclusion, once you comprehend the basics of the program, everything else falls into place.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›