5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing crime drama that doesn't hold your hand., 30 May 2011
This review is from: The Shadow Line [DVD] (DVD)
All too often these days on British TV, crime dramas and murder mysteries insist on spoon-feeding the viewer the facts, before arriving at a nicely wrapped-up conclusion, laden with mind-numbing exposition. Thankfully, 'The Shadow Line' is not one of those programmes. Namely, it shows, but doesn't tell. It doesn't insult your intelligence, something that's only too rare.

The lengthy opening scene sets the tone for the rest of the series. Two police officers inspecting a car, one dead body inside. The body is Harvey Wratten's, an infamous underworld drug baron recently released from prison after a mysterious and unexpected royal pardon. It soon becomes clear that this is far more than just a gangland assassination. Investigating is DI Jonah Gabriel, a disillusioned cop just returned to the force, recovering from an attempt on his life that left him with a bullet in his brain and a serious case of amnesia. We follow Gabriel as he delves into Wratten's murder and the drug-trafficking scene, uncovering far more than he would like.

Make no mistake: this is a pitch-dark, almost noir-ish crime drama, about morally compromised characters and the lengths that they will go to to survive. There have been comparisons made to 'The Wire' and 'The Killing', but you'll enjoy it a lot more if you just take it for what it is.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is brilliantly understated as Gabriel, struggling to juggle his personal and professional lives. Praise also for Christopher Eccleston as Bede, essentially the underworld foil for Gabriel, trying to keep a business afloat while watching his wife rapidly succumb to Alzheimer's. Stephen Rea as the enigmatic Gatehouse is mesmerising and utterly chilling to watch. His character proves himself a force of nature with his clinical and lethal temperament. His 'face-off' with Glickman (Sir Antony Sher) was, for me, one of the most compelling scenes in the whole series. Both performances were just electrifying.

There are a few things that may detract from the overall experience for some. You do get a few unnecessary lines of dialogue here and there, and no doubt people will complain that there isn't really any character that you can 'root for', but then they'd be missing the point. The series has also been described as a 'crime thriller', but in all honesty it's more of an ensemble character study, and is far too slow-paced to be a thriller, at least in the early episodes. This is more a case of false advertising, though, than any fault with the series itself. That's not to imply that the series is slow enough to be dull - far from it. The wheels are always turning and the final few episodes are absolutely thrilling to watch.

A word about the finale, which seems to have divided opinion. The reveal of the purpose behind the conspiracy does tie into the series' underlying themes of greed, control and corruption, but for some the ending was overwrought, self-indulgent, and contained one too many telegraphed twists. Personally, I share none of these complaints. I was glued to my seat the entire time, and by the time the credits rolled I felt I had watched something particularly satisfying. I can't ask for more.

For a BBC drama, this is cerebral and ambitious television. Is it a trendsetter? Probably not, but it's pleasing to see the Beeb trying something different for a change. Without a doubt, this is the finest drama I've ever seen them produce. Like others have said already, because of its mature and unrelenting nature The Shadow Line would not look out of place on a channel such as HBO. Overall, it's rewarding, engaging entertainment and if you like that then you'll love this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jul 2011 00:34:19 BDT
Brett_Bloom says:

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2011 10:28:42 BDT
You need to get a grip. I notice you've commented on another Shadow Line review spouting the same rubbish. I look to Amazon reviews to see whether or not a television series/film is worth buying as I can get a mixture of opinions and it helps to make up my mind if it's for me or not? Have you ever been on Amazon and read reviews before buying a book? In future any time I review a book I will inform the Amazon public on how well the pages are stuck together, inform them of the dimensions in case you need to know this for book shelf space, oh and knowing the font's important too! I will stick well clear of telling you if the book is actually worth reading or not. Thank you BigDamnHero92, I thought your review was excellent. Dahlia89, get off your high horse !

Posted on 8 Jul 2011 16:19:20 BDT
Steveychops says:
I was going to write my own review, but this was so close to what I wanted to say I now have no need. I think I agreed with most of what was written here, though I wasn't entirely convince by Chiwetel Ejiofor as the tortured amnesiac. I'm trying to think of another character in British drama like Gatehouse that was so ambiguous, multi-faceted and chillingly enigmatic. Stephen Rhea deserves an award for this. But then I would say the same about Christopher Eccleston and Rafe Spall's performances too. Come the more mainstream awards it may well be overlooked for maybe being a little too 'highbrow' for some.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2013 22:43:05 GMT
Who made you the review police?
I thought it was a good (and relevant) review.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2013 22:49:17 GMT
I wasn't convinced by Rafe Spall's gangster role.
I just thought he didn't have a persona or the physicality to really make it 'real'. Ben Kingsley managed to turn his lack of size into an asset in Sexy Beast but Spall had something missing.
That said, I still found Shadow Line one of the most intriguing and addictive drama's for quite some time.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2013 22:14:02 GMT
Mike Andrews says:
Funny you hit the exact performance (Kingsley in Sexy Beast) that I thought I'd never have the pleasure of seeing an equivalent of, and Rafe Spall was so intense and compelling in this series. I thought his menace and deferred threats were a good balance with a sometimes tired blatant physical storyline - enjoyed both for their different aspects/angles
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (71 customer reviews)

24.99 11.07