5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Outstanding Period Drama, 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Downton Abbey - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
The greatly anticipated second series of Downton Abbey picks up two years on from the first series in 1916, in the middle of World War 1. Downton Abbey has been converted into a convalescent home for injured servicemen and the action covers the period from the Battle of the Somme up to the end of the war. As in the first series, topical events of the period, political, economic and military are covered.

The wartime scenario and the convalescent home setting provide an excellent background for some interesting story lines. The combination of excellent plot lines, great acting and the superb setting display all that is best in TV period drama. This time round we have eight more episodes to add to the seven in the first series. As befits wartime, the costumes are not as flamboyant as in the first series but they are thoroughly researched and appropriate to the period.

There continue to be many superb individual performances but mention must be made of Maggie Smith. What a stroke of genius to cast her as Violet. She dominates every scene she appears in and often has some very funny lines.

Viewers will not be surprised to learn that this is the most successful costume drama since the early 1980s with peak viewing figures in the UK of 11m. It has been sold round the world including the States, and viewing figures have been impressive there too. It is pleasing to learn that a third series is already planned and we now know that this will cover an 18 month period from 1920 to 1921 and will hit our screens in September 2012. This one is likely to run and run and I would not be surprised to see Downton Abbey continuing up to the 1930s eventually.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Oct 2011 22:45:02 BDT
Ms B. Ibanez says:
Did someone from ITV production team write this? I wonder.............

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Oct 2011 23:16:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Oct 2011 10:34:48 BDT
Brett H says:
I just really think Downton Abbey is a superb production. I have no hesitation including criticism in my reviews where I think it is appropriate, but apart from the fact that it would have been nice to have a season longer than 8 shows, I just cannot think of anything bad to say here. And no, I do not work for ITV :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2011 10:09:36 BDT
Traffic says:
I think it's a vary good review. I watched the first series and loved it and so was vary interested in reading the reviews of the second series, having not been able to see it on the TV.

"Did somebody from the ITV production team write this?" What a stupid comment to make.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2011 19:14:55 BDT
Brett H says:
Thanks for your kind comments on the review. I think Downton Abbey must have really surprised the BBC as it is really on what they always considered their home turf. And I still don't work for the ITV :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2011 12:53:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Nov 2011 12:54:00 GMT
StanSmith says:
Perhaps someone from the BBC wrote your comment? ;) Which may mean I'm from ITV I suppose....which means.....and so on etc!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2011 22:10:55 GMT
P. Curran says:
I'm so shocked that people are writing superlatives about this stupid, crass series. The "soap" qualities are so clear for anyone to see - it must be because it's tapping into an audience inured by watching HOURS of soaps per night. This must be one of the worst representations of the time i have ever seen.
Servants, boys and girls, slightly overweight and all with perfect teeth!! This is History for the uneducated masses!!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2011 12:49:08 GMT
Brett H says:
I think to brand the 11m viewers of Downton Abbey as 'the undeducated masses' is adopting a rather superior attitude, some (not me) may say arrogant. As for your overweight, perfect teeth jibe, well that goes for just about every historical movie made in Hollywood!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2011 19:18:33 GMT
P. Curran says:
But the 11m viewers are already soap addicts and therefore their taste is somewhat suspect... it's a crap series aimed at people with little or no discernment (probably massive fans of 'Strictly Dancing ' and the 'X Factor'). If you're trying to say that we should follow the herd then enjoy !!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2011 19:57:39 GMT
Brett H says:
I am quite happy to dish out 1 Star reviews if warranted. You just call it as you see it and I enjoyed this. And no, I am not a follower of East Enders etc although if that is what you like, then that is fine by me too.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2011 20:25:27 GMT
StanSmith says:
Well I don't like Strictly or the X-Factor but I like Downton Abbey (they're nothing alike as far as I can see). We might as well be debating that red is better than blue!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (578 customer reviews)

£29.99 £5.49