2,373 of 2,406 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars An Honest Review of the Kindle Touch, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display (Electronics)
I've been a Kindle owner since the very old and chunky Kindle 2 device. Here's my personal pros and cons on the new Kindle Touch:

PROS ON THE KINDLE TOUCH:

1) Smaller and lighter than my previous Kindle Keyboard model. Dispensing with the physical keyboard and using an on-screen keyboard has saved a lot of space. This makes it nice and light to hold and also it's now small enough to fit into most of my handbags too.

2) The touch aspect is very responsive which is both good and bad. It's ever so easy to turn pages with a very light press on the right side for moving on a page or left for moving back. You can also swipe to turn pages too which again is very easy. I love the fact that Amazon have added up and down swiping while reading which means you can move to the next or previous chapter very quickly - if chapter markers have been added by the publishers in the book.

3) Using a touch screen is probably more intuitive for most people who are used to tablets and touch screen gadgets. It's great to be able to simply touch a word and you get your dictionary definition rather than having to navigate down to a word using buttons and then select it which is tedious.

4) I was very concerned about fingerprints over the reading screen but I've been pleasantly suprised with that. You do get fingerprints but they are admittedly very difficult to see on the matt finished screen unless you look closely. So hopefully that shouldn't put you off if fingerprints are a worry.

5) The text is clear and easy to read with lots of options of changing the size of the text and a few options on the font - just the same as with the Kindle Keyboard model. I compared both screens on my old and new device and noticed no difference with clarity of text between the two models.

6) Great new X-Ray feature (only works with some books where the publisher has provided it) which means you can see more info about characters, events and places with your book. This has been brilliant with reading the Harry Potter books where sometimes I want more detail. No having to go online to look it up - the extra info is there for you.

7) Some operations are made a lot easier with the Touch model like selecting words to get a dictionary definition, highlighting your favourite passages and quotes, adding a bookmark by just pressing the top right corner etc.

CONS ON THE KINDLE TOUCH:

1) I can't type as quickly on a touch screen keyboard as I can on the physical one on my Kindle Keyboard model. This may not be an issue for most people but I use my Kindle as a research tool as well as to read books so sometimes I can make extensive notes. This will be a pain for me with the touch model - plus sometimes my fingers press the wrong key on the Touch model because they're not very big.

2) The touch screen is very responsive which has its good points as I mentioned in the pros. But it also causes some issues too because if I don't press the power button when I'm done reading to activate the screensaver right away then any accidental movement on top of the screen causes something to happen which has ended up with me losing my place while reading a few times. Also my clumsy fingers have pressed on screen items by mistake on a number of occasions causing me confusion as to where I was.

3) I definitely seem to get more screen ghosting with this model than with my Kindle Keyboard so I'm a little disappointed in that. First thing you might want to do when you get your Touch is to go to settings and make sure you get the device to refresh the e-ink on every page turn. If you don't then I kid you not, you will see parts of the previous screen 'ink' on the current page that you're reading and this is known as screen ghosting. It's very annoying. Even having the page refresh on every turn, I still get a little of this ghosting so that's a slight con for me.

4) My BIGGEST CON with this new Kindle is the lack of physical page turn buttons. Yes, I know it's a Touch model but personally I'd prefer the option of being able to use page turn buttons while reading OR to use the screen to navigate. Problem with using the screen is that your thumb (which you'll use to move forward and back whether tapping or swiping) ends up obstructing some of what you're reading. If you're a fast reader and turning pages quickly, this can be pretty annoying. I love the physical page turn buttons on my Kindle Keyboard and I just wish that Amazon had provided them as well with this model. Personally I don't want to have to touch the screen to do every single thing.

So while I think this new model is great and has many advantages over the Kindle Keyboard, I'm not giving it a full-out 5 star rating because the device isn't quite perfect for me. I don't see any improvement with the sharpness or clarity of text over the previous model, I do get a little of the annoying screen ghosting and I just wish Amazon had provided those physical page turn buttons as well so you're not forced into having to read by touching (and covering) the screen.

And that's my very honest take on it. Great model but just missed the mark of being the perfect Kindle model for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Apr 2012 11:05:56 BDT
 says:
There is no ghosting whatsoever on my Kindle Touch and I haven't altered the screen refresh settings from their defaults.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 14:08:51 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Same here. Thought I might need to alter it to refresh every page but it is fine as it is.

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 09:29:58 BDT
Liam says:
Surely the biggest con you've listed is entirely unnecessary. Someone who purchases a touch screen device does so because they don't want the physical buttons, so I'm pretty sure you can't use that as a legitimate cause for complaint. Apart from that, good review, very informative

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2012 15:33:00 BDT
Greg B. says:
The only reason I probably won't buy the KT is because it doesn't have physical page turn buttons and a "back" button. The ideal solution for me would be the K4 with Touch screen and KT functionality, battery life and Memory

Posted on 27 Apr 2012 16:17:41 BDT
john evans says:
Thanks for your considered review. I doubtless read more slowly than you, so I can't quite work out why your "page turning thumb" can't be near the left or right centre of the page so that you don't obscure the end of your currently read page, or the beginning of the next page?

Since it's not actually a touch sensitive display (eg., one can use gloves & still operate it) you can also buy or make a "touch screen ring" for your finger or thumb, which would obscure less of the screen when pressed on the display.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2012 17:05:17 BDT
 says:
I don't find it a problem. My finger is on its way towards the screen just before I finish a page, heading towards a bit I am not reading. I don't have a thumb or finger hovering over the page, but if you do, then just narrow the text area down.

Posted on 29 Apr 2012 12:53:31 BDT
J. M. Murfin says:
I had my 3g Kindle for about a year and loved it, I have read more books because of it. I have now had my Kindle touch 3g just a few days and think its fantastic. I take my Kindle every where and use it every day. My only wish with the Kindle touch is that it is in colour.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 07:25:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Apr 2012 07:31:50 BDT
Hibou says:
I have the older kindle keypad, and was much impressed with it. But since I do most of my reading in bed at night and don't want to bother my wife with a light, I now prefer the kindle reader on a 7" colour touchpad Android tablet (Lenovo A1) with its own backlight, which also has a much better web and email reader. The kindle "paper" screen is better outside, but not inside the house. There is a similar colour kindle, but Amazon have chosen not to market it in Europe :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 08:22:42 BDT
Jill Allen says:
Kindle Fire is what Hibou is presumably referring to and is not in Europe yet while Amazon sorts out copyright issues relating to film etc. (so I understand). I have found this useful as to whether I should upgrade my already overrused Kindle keyboard and I suspect not. I also prefer having the turn page buttons off screen. I find if I am on holiday lying on a sunbed then I can hold my kindle in page turning position with one hand and can turn pages without moving at all just applying a small amount of pressure. Think I'll stick with my keyboard until Fire is available here.

Posted on 6 May 2012 17:48:07 BDT
Tea Pot Man says:
Hi, I have just read your review of the Kindle Touch 3G and i am a bit put off buying now and would appreciate your comments! I have not had a Kindle and naively assumed that buying the latest model would be best and now I am not so sure. I am a novice to be honest but think I now have to give books a rest because of the print size on most of them. Help please, thanks geegee
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›