1.0 out of 5 stars Band dies after an average life of 100 days, horrible customer support, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Jawbone Small UP Fitness Tracking Wristband - Black Onyx (Sports)
Tl;dr: The 2 Ups I had, died after 6 weeks and 5 months; the average lifetime of this device is 100 days, and customer support is horrible.
I challenge you to Google "Jawbone up battery problem" before buying this product.

Had it for 6 weeks. The step counting was great and very motivating. The sleep tracking is nice in theory, but the sensor or algorithm that analyses it is not good - on nights when I had gotten up and walked 10 meters to the bathroom and back, the app would say I slept solid through the night and did not wake up once. How can it track walking around as "light sleep"?
The best compliment I can give overall is for the app actually - it is gorgeous looking.

BUT.

After 6 weeks the device suddenly would not charge anymore. A soft reset and a hard reset didn't help. Jawbone apparently only has a US site (there was no UK or european site), so I contacted their customer support. 2 days later, got a reply describing some steps I should take to reset the device, and they asked where I had bought the band and if it had been exposed to water (it had not). I replied that the steps had not helped and the band was still not working.

No reply from them to that. After 3 days, I made a new case since they hadn't replied to my first one. No reply to that either. Then I found out, via hear-say on Google+ (since Jawbone keep this e-mail adress secret) they have a EU Support email adress and I emailed that, this time mentioning upfront I bought it via Amazon.co.uk and describing the steps I had already taken. Within 1 hour, I got a reply:

" Based on the information you've provided, your Jawbone device needs to be replaced. Please contact the original retailer where you purchased the Jawbone device to request an exchange. Jawbone retailers are responsible for processing exchanges. "

That's it then - Amazon.co.uk gets the flack for Jawbones defective devices and pays all the shipping and other costs of replacing it. At least Amazon.co.uk turned out to have excellent customer service - after a quick chat they immediately shipped me a new Up and I could send the broken one back.

Avoid Jawbone. The MAJORITY of Up users have had their band die on them. The results of a poll among users (you can look it up on the Jawbone Up Google+ Community) was that their bands had an average life of 97 days (!) and users had been through an average 2.6 replacement bands. That sums it up.

--- UPDATE 15 FEB 2014 ---

Replacement band arrived and in use now, I will keep you posted on how long this one lives....
NOTE: I WILL **NOT** USE THE SLEEP MODE ON THIS DEVICE, since apparently the reason so many Ups only live 100 days, is the button you need to press for switching between steps mode and sleep mode - it's the button that's defective and breaks so soon. So I will use this Up just as a pedometer and without the sleep function. We'll see if that can make it survive longer than 100 days.

--- UPDATE 18 FEB 2014 ---

So NOW, after 3 weeks, Jawbone (US) has finally replied to my mails. As opposed to the "within 24 hrs" they advertise on their website... Well since they were not only incredibly late, but also less usefull than a random stranger on the internet was to me (THREE TIMES, in all my 3 e-mails, they ignored my question about getting an EU support adress) I won't be using and lost all my trust in them.

--- UPDATE 22 JULY 2014 ---

2nd band died this week after working for 5 months (had it from 15 Feb - 18 Jul). And I didn't even use the sleep function / touch the button at all on this (the replacement) band! This time it was a battery problem; suddenly the device would go from 100% to 0% charged in 4-6 HOURS instead of the 10 days it is supposed to last.
I just threw it away, am not even going to get a new one from Amazon.co.uk (Jawbone themselves to nothing for the customer) this time, since the devices last only 2-4 months (AVERAGE LIFETIME OF THE UP REPORTED ON THE GOOGLE GROUP IS NOW 92.3 DAYS).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Mar 2014 15:57:19 GMT
H. Mirza says:
I am still debating on whether to buy this or not..... SHould i just opt for the FITBIT FLEX?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2014 19:05:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Mar 2014 19:08:54 GMT
LB7979 says:
Well, if you like the Jawbones' apps and looks **and have an Iphone** instead of an Android you could buy the Up24. The Up24 has not had the huge amount of users experiencing the device dying on them within 100 days, as the 1st and 2nd generation Ups. Note that Jawbone did not make and has no plans to make an Android app for the Up24, so if you don't have an Iphone that's not an option. Also, none of the Ups let you acces your data on the internet via your computer; you can ONLY see your data on the mobile (Iphone) app.
A big advantage of the Up24 over the 2nd gen. Up I reviewed above, is that it syncs wirelessly so you can see your data on your phone without plugging the band in your phone.

The Fitbit Flex's advantages: 1) It has both Iphone and Android apps. Even better: it also has a web interface so you can also access your data on your computer on internet (with Jawbone you can't). 2) Since the Fibit Flex does not consist of 1 piece, but consists of a tracker that you put into a wristband, you can buy additional wristbands to vary the colour of your wristband.

Flex's disadvantages: 1) Many people find the Flex very difficult to clasp 2) Since the Flex consists of 2 pieces, it is more of a hastle to charge it. You have to unclasp it, remove the tracker, charge it, put the tracker back in the wristband, and clasp the Flex. Also, while the Flex is water-resistant, the tracker is not completely sealed off when it is in its "pocket", and water leaks into that space (this is a bit difficult to explain but you can do a Image search on Google for "Fitbit Flex tracker" to see how it is built).

If you decide to buy the Up, at least try to buy it from a retailer that will refund your money if it is defective, as opposed to replace the device. I.e. not from Jawbone.com or Amazon.com/co.uk. I've heard that the Apple store does refunds but you should check that to be sure.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2014 19:52:08 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 5 Mar 2014 20:15:52 GMT]

Posted on 5 May 2014 16:34:09 BDT
So far I have had 2 jawbone up devices. The product is really nice but both died after ~ 90-100 days. I will try one more and if it doesn't make it past 100 I will go for a fitbit next time.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2014 19:19:06 BDT
LB7979 says:
Yes, it seems to be a common issue that the device suddenly dies after about 100 days. Also that the vibrate function does not function properly.
My current (2nd / replacement) device has worked about 80 days now and I really hope it will live longer, if it doesn't I won't replace it again and opt for the Fitbit. Note: I purposefully have NOT used the Sleep function anymore since it is the button that seems to be the issue on these Ups, but still *knock on wood*...

Posted on 16 Jul 2014 18:24:28 BDT
Mark Fearn says:
Well my Up has just stopped work after about 5 months. I've contact support so let's see what they come back with, I don't hold up much hope.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2014 11:58:35 BDT
LB7979 says:
Well what a coincidence, just this week my (2nd) Up stopped working after 5 months. At least that's longer than the 1.5 months lifetime of the 1st, but I had to refrain from using the sleep function to get to that.
If you mean Jawbone customer service, they will only help you if you bought it through jawbone.com. At least Amazon.co.uk will send you a replacement (but not do a refund).

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2014 22:04:27 BDT
Mark Fearn says:
I ended ringing jawbone customer service. And reported the issue on Friday and even thought my wife bought it for me via EBay they said that they would send a replacement. They emailed me back with a reference number and said they would mail me when the band was dispatched. Not had anything back yet. So let's see
‹ Previous 1 Next ›