5.0 out of 5 stars OMG - What a difference a Router makes!!, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Personal Computers)
Let me explain the title.

Until recently I've been using a Linkss wrt160n v3 - a snazzy looking little think that neatly tucked itself away under my desk and as such it didn't call much attention to itself.
As my home network grew I didn't pay it much heed - after all it was just handling my outbound connection and nothing else, right? -WRONG!

- Long Story; -

I live in a bungalow with the classic layout - bedrooms (& ""office"" *cough*) at one end, sitting room & kitchen/diner at the other end.
- - Kitchen; - -
In the Kitchen I have 2x Sonos Play:5 - and I'd often sit down with the laptop & a cup of coffee to read the news, write a couple of emails..laugh at cats on youtube - so wireless cover would be missed should it not work. With the wrt, I was confined to one end of the kitchen, the back wall was a no go..
The solution was a powerline network and an additional wireless access point. Sorted.

- - Sitting Room; - -
The sitting has the same basic shap of the kitchen; so before installing the additional wireless access point in the kithen wireless network in the couch at the backwall of the house was impossible (or at least v. slow at best). In addition the network in the sitting room has on it - 1x PS3, 1x Wii, 1x Skybox, 1x Sonos ZP80 - and as wireless speed wasn't really appropriate for streaming movies to the ps3 a 1gb powerline adaptor & a 1gb switch.

- - Master bedroom; - -
This room is right next to the office so it was always blessed with good wireless cover, which is handy for reading the news whilst still under covers or even checking emails in the middle of the night if that seemed like the right thing to be doing.
Also present in the bedroom 2x Sonos Play:3 and 1x Seagate HD+ Media streamer thing..The Sonos devices were quite happy with the wireless; however when streaming wirelessly to the Seagate box I'd often get lagging, stuttering and sometimes it'd just jump off the network altogether and claim that I'd "removed the media" - I took this as a sign to either get up, or go to sleep - so it probably wasn't the worst thing..from a networking perspective though, it showed a deficiency.
An additional Powerline adaptor was installed to combat the dropouts - but though lost connections became rarer, the stuttering would still occour; specially if the "office" was transferring files across the interwebs, streaming (youtube) or even playing something online.

- - ""Office""; - -
The Cave,(or "Dump" as it's sometimes referred to by herself) from a networking perspective consists of 2x Desktops (wired), 1x ps3 (wired), 1x Sonos Bridge (wired), 1x ReadyNAS600 (Wired) 1x Sonos ZP80 (Wireless) & 1x 1gb Powerline adapter.

As this is where the inbound connection lives - this is the home of the router - the wrt looked after this area well, but I would only rarely use the wireless in here - as I much prefer the desktops over the laptop.
One of the desktops is setup as a media server, as such it is rather heavy on the network, something I hadn't considered until recently.
The other desktop is purely for playing games & mucking about on the interwebs.

- Short story; -
With the old router I'd often experience drops in the network, resulting in me having to reset it before even wired units would come back online, also I needed additional access points to cover areas that didn't have signal or enough bandwidth using the wireless.
With the new box (ASUS RT-66u) I've not only been able to take down the additional access points - I've also been able to stream movies flawlessly, my internet speed has gone up (!!!) and my network is superbly stable!
One minor blemish is that to achieve this I had to install the 3rd party "Tomato(shibby)" firmware on the Asus box - something with which I had NO prior experience. It is however working fantastically! I'm SUPER impressed and very very happy with my purchase - I had no idea I was suffering of poor network until I experienced what a difference this fantastic router makes.

AWESOME!

Also - as Asus are constantly updating their own Firmware I'm sure that with the latest release you wont have to go 3rd party - but if you want to try it's an option. :-)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]