5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable 'solos' for beginners/Low Intermediates, 27 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Ballads: Play-Along Solos for Alto Sax [With] (Paperback)
I've been learning/playing the alto sax for just over 6 weeks and wanted to have a go at 'complete songs' rather than 'extracts' in my tutorial books. I chose 'ballads' because of their 'timing/tempo' (slower songs are easier to follow!) I managed to find information about the songs included in this book from 'googling' (Take note Amazon!!!!).

For those of you who are taking the time to read my comments, the songs are: Bridge Over Troubled Water, Bring Him Home, I Dreamed A Dream, Candle In The Wind, Don't Cry For Me Argentina, I Don't know how to love him, I know Him So Well, Imagine, Killing Me Softly With His Song, Nights In White Satin, One Day I'll Fly Away, Wonderful Tonight. There are also an addition 2 tracks with 'tuning notes' (concert Bb and concert A)

The songs are arranged in order of difficulty, and after being able to play all 12 songs, the player will have quite a good command of playing all the notes available within the Alto sax's range.

The accompanying CD backing tracks are very well produced with authentic sounding piano/band accompaniment (Not cheesy midi-synth backing). The 'backing band' appears on the left channel, while the melody appears on the right channel - so with stereo ajustable equipment, one can hear more or less (or none) of the melody as desired.

Within minutes of 'tuning up', I was able to start song #1 (Bridge Over...) with no dificulty at all. Great for a confidence boost! I'm sure that within a couple of weeks I'll have no trouble in going through all the songs. After that I'll be able to work more on phrasing and personal interpretation of the songs themselves.

Very enjoyable and would recommend it to any beginner (or low intermediate) looking to play complete compositions and perfecting their all-round technique.

I've rated this a '5 star' because of its professionality, simplicity and ease of use for a beginner (like me!)

I bought this through "The Book Depository" - the service was excellent, quick and easy. Will definitely buy from them again.

[Add comment]