1.0 out of 5 stars The Rubik's cube are not as good as the 80's models, 31 Aug. 2008
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Original Rubik's cube - New tough tiles faster action cube (Toy)
I first got a Rubik's cube when they came out in the early 80's and absolutely loved it. I used the first one so much that I had to buy a replacement within a couple of years. The action for these cubes was fantastic. 'Clicky' 'tight' but so easy and smooth to turn. Even though I could eventually solve the puzzle in a couple of minutes, I've never tired of it.

I was really pleased when they started to produce the cube again and was keen to buy a new one. I bought a new cube and was dismayed to find that the action and build quality was terrible. I actually dug out my remaining original cube to try and see what the difference could be and saw that the original design had little areas where the inner surfaces had open pockets or gaps. I think this was what helped to reduce the drag when turning the faces.

I ended up exchanging several e-mails with the main 'Rubik's Cube' website and after trying to say that their product was as good as the original, they eventually admitted that their new cube was different. They said that they had stopped leaving these little gaps/pockets due to the risk of small children sticking their fingers in and thereafter being hurt. I personally think that this is utter nonsense.

Anyway, I ended up checking out cubes on ebay and managed to get an original 80's cube in mint condition for under ten pounds. When it arrived, it really was like being introduced to an old friend. 'Tight' 'Clicky' but smooth as silk. A total contrast to the terrible ones that are being sold as the official cube.

I've actually just ordered another 'Rubik's Cube' from another site which says that they get their cubes from a factory in Hungary which is still under the control of the inventor Mr. Erno Rubik. I am very hopeful that it will be as good as his original cube was.

Andrew Lyon

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 May 2009 10:39:51 BDT
Kikki says:
Can you tell me where you bought the good one from please?

Posted on 28 Dec 2009 20:37:13 GMT
MrsB says:
Actually had the opposite problem with ours, it was so loose it fell to bits after 10 seconds. Not impressed with the quality.

Posted on 12 Oct 2010 17:40:05 BDT
C. Goodall says:
Thank you for your comments. I shall now try and buy an origional one for my grandson.

Posted on 4 Nov 2010 21:53:54 GMT
J. Lutaert says:
My old cube is falling apart, and I would like to know if the cube from Hungary is as good as the original. And if it is, I would really like to know where you bought it. I really want a new cube that's smooth to turn and doesn't fall apart.

Posted on 26 Nov 2010 00:57:07 GMT
Dave says:
Likewise, I would like to get cubes for my kids this Christmas, but all the ones I have tried are far removed from the smooth clicky motion I used to get 30 years ago. So much for progress! I'd really appreciate it if you would post a comment on how your Hungarian model turned out, and where they can be bought for. For me, the tactile nature of the cube was half of what made it so addictive. It's far from satisfying if every half turn means you practically have to force the row round.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2010 08:21:09 GMT
H. Wulf says:
Pop one of the edge pieces out and spray some silicon lubricant into the cube. Also give the cube at least 100+ solves to "grind in". Mine now runs like a charm even though it started out rubbish.
Also try typing the following in ebay or google for some brilliant 3x3x3 cubes (all far better than any Rubiks brand cube):

Alpha V cube

Posted on 17 May 2011 12:55:54 BDT
A. Hosking says:
'80s not 80's BTW.

Posted on 30 Jun 2011 19:47:18 BDT
The problem is that Rubik's brand is not even close to best and fastests cubes in the world. I bought one several years ago when I was starting my speedcubing adventure and after couple of weeks I was pretty satisfied with it's performance, but then I found DIY cubes on ebay, few times cheaper and really, at least 10 times smoother and faster :)

Posted on 3 Jul 2011 21:32:46 BDT
RossChambers says:
Thanks, just bought a cube from Hungary off ebay. Bit more expensive and obviously longer shipping as from Hungary but if it's good build quality it's worth the wait.

Posted on 23 Jul 2011 00:09:08 BDT
Sacvicky says:
Hi Lyon ,

Please tell me the name of the website you placed a recent order for the original Rubik's cube.
My email is sacvicky@yahoo.co.uk

i am interested in buying the original one only not the other ones.

Thanks