Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

1.0 out of 5 stars Overheating and short operating time, 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Aurora AS610C 6 Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder with Waste Bin (Office Product)
The first time I tried to shred more than a few documents (2 at a time) the shredder overheated and jammed. After consulting the manual I waited the requisite hour for the motor to cool down. During this cooling-off period I closely studied the handbook to be sure that I avoided another shut-down. I was astonished to discover unlike my ribbon shredder (that would work all day without rest) the cross-cut shredder can only work for 2 minutes at a time followed by a 20 minute cooling off period.

Following on from this experience I looked for a comparison site for cross-cut shredders and discovered all that I found can only work for a maximum of 3.5 minutes followed by 20 minutes cooling-off.

I only bought this beast to improve on the security of my document disposal. I firmly believe that in the light of my experience, it to be essential that some mention of this severe limitation on use must be displayed in the Technical details on the Amazon site for each of the cross-cut shredders they are selling.

It may be that others are more technically aware than myself but I would certainly have not been so eager to buy if this problem had at least been mentioned.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Aug 2011 12:35:52 BDT
Hi, we are sorry you are having problems with your shredder.

If your AS610C is only shredding 2 sheets of paper and over heating quickly then it sounds as if it might be faulty.

This unit should easily cope with 6 sheets of 75gsm paper.

Please contact contact Aurora customer service on sales@aurora-ltd.co.uk and we will be happy to check into your problem further and if required we will replace your shredder.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2011 13:07:35 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 31 Aug 2011 13:08:25 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2011 20:03:32 BDT
Eliza says:
75gms paper? wow, where do you buy paper so thin and why would you want to? The thinnest I use is 80gms, most paper is 90 or 100 gms, so I guess that means we can only safely shred 3 or 4 sheets at a time. Quite a difference I'd say.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2011 17:35:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Sep 2011 17:36:29 BDT
Hello Ms E.Harley,

75gsm is very common in the US and as global manufacturer we use one worldwide standard, you can also buy 75gsm paper on Amazon!

But you are correct 80gsm paper is far more common in the UK.
There is not a great deal of difference between the two however and when we are talking about a 6 sheet shredder it makes a small amount of difference, it makes much more difference when we go upto to 10 or 12 sheet shredders.

The official specified performance of the AS610C is 6 sheets of 75 gsm but it will shred 6 sheets of 80gsm, however you are approaching the tolerance level of the machine so sticking to 5 sheets of 80gsm will mean you are not working the shredder at the top end of its capabilities.

You are also right regards 90 and 100gsm, the thicker the paper the less you can shred in one go.

I would say shred no more than 4 sheets of 100gsm, or 5 sheets of 90gsm this way you should prolong the life of your shredder. If you want to shred 6 sheets of 100gsm paper in one go you should be looking at an 8 sheet shredder like the Aurora AS800CD.

The same can be said for pretty much all brands of shredders but some manfaucturers do use different weights on which to base their capacities so you are right to raise the point and check into this.

I hope this has helped - if we can be of any further assistance you can email us at sales@aurora-ltd.co.uk.

Posted on 20 May 2013 18:14:57 BDT
stezza says:
I too am disappointed in the performance of this product.definately ignore the max 6 sheets warning on the top.one a4 size paper at a time and not much thicker than a rizla paper if you can help it.constantly on reverse and awaiting it cooling down.my first ever shredder.I ll be researching more in depth if i decide to get a functional one.pants.

Posted on 1 Jan 2014 17:20:45 GMT
M Phillips says:
It's a pity I didn't read this review before I purchased the Aurora AS610c. I have only used mine three or four times, and not for extended periods, and it has already ceased up. At best it would never operate with the 'max' 6 sheets of paper - in fact it struggled with three or four. I thought I was upgrading in moving to this model. Very disappointed!!

Posted on 3 Jan 2014 16:14:44 GMT
Siam says:
Have only used this shredder twice. I didn't realise it was so limited in the small amounts of time you could shred before letting it cool off and when I went to use it today it's completely dead. What a waste of money as it's now out of guarantee.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014 16:00:50 GMT
I too am really disappointed with this shredder! It has constantly jammed or overheated despite being careful & only using only 1 or 2 sheets at a time. Now to top it all I just tried 3 sheets of standard paper & I could hear it jamming, turned it off immediately but too late - it's broken inside. Not impressed, my cheap old Tesco own brand shredder was far better than this & lasted years! I thought I was upgrading with this shredder but wouldn't recommend it at all, it's not fit for purpose.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014 16:10:09 GMT
M Phillips says:
In light of my comments (1 Jan 14), those of Siam on 3 Jan 14 and now these from J Nettleship (7 Jan 14) surely Aurora should take this product off the market and give us all refunds. The product is not as described.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2014 14:37:46 GMT
minda says:
I agree, I have been researching the net to check how to resolve my jam and it appears the paper I'm shredding is too thick. This is clearly something a consumer is unaware of.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›