5.0 out of 5 stars It Serves My Purposes Well and is Reasonably Priced, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Epson WorkForce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer with Double-sided Printing (Accessory)
An HP Officejet Pro had been my printer/scanner for domestic use for the past five years and although it originally served my purposes appropriately, it was not serving my current requirements particularly well.

The main reason for this was that I now prefer to store most of my documents digitally; printing only when absolutely necessary. For photographic purposes I use online photographic facilities, as I find these to be both cost-effective and efficient in terms of the purposes for which I use them.

The main problem with the HP was that it performed lengthy print head cleaning cycles each time it was switched on. These not only took a fair amount of time to complete, but also involved the use of ink; thus making it expensive for the occasional user, such as myself, as the amount of ink I was getting through did not justify the number of printouts. (However it would probably prove more cost-effective for the business user, who would be more inclined to leave the printer switched on for much of the day and be printing regularly during that time.)

An extensive search of printer/scanner options led me to the Epson Workforce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer.

It must be said that I was hesitant to consider it at first, as before the HP I had owned an Epson Stylus printer/scanner which I had been obliged to discard, when it had eventually refused to accept authentic Epson cartridges.

However on the basis of having studied reviews in technical publications and on Amazon, I was of the impression that this particular Epson would meet my current requirements and hopefully, that with the passage of time, past issues with cartridges would by now have been addressed. (Only time will tell whether or not this situation still exists and in the event that it does, I will modify this review accordingly.)

Amazon's price for the Epson Workforce WF-3520DWF was the best available and represents the lowest price I have ever paid for a printer (in over twenty-five years of having purchased them) and with the greatest accessible facilities. It also takes up far less desk space than the HP Officejet and is sturdy and although heavy has a robust quality to it.

The Epson proved very easy indeed to set up following connecting via USB to my PC and then the setting up of a wireless connection to my BT Infinity 2 router.

Once the printer had completed the initialisation process (which took about five minutes) it was up and running and from then onwards would initiate almost immediately at the touch of the on/off button.

Several sheets can be scanned one after the other and on both sides without a requirement for user intervention and equally duplex printing (i.e. printing on both sides of the paper) is also available without a requirement to physically turn the paper over.

Regarding the use of portable wireless devices, I use a Kindle Fire HD (in much the same way as I used to use a laptop) to create Word documents using OfficeSuite Professional 7 (an Amazon Store app) and have found it very easy indeed to print Kindle documents wirelessly from the Epson (via the PrinterShare app (also from Amazon)).

It is early days yet in terms of my experience with this printer/scanner, but I hope that my review will assist those using it in similar circumstances to myself. However as I extend my usage, I will add to this review accordingly.

To conclude, at this point in time, I would rate this as a five star acquisition, as it has met my circumstances perfectly, has proved to be free of any evident technological or software-based issues that might prove to be an impediment to its performance, was reasonably priced and consequently represents good value for money.

In the event that problems or deficiencies do occur in the future, I shall amend my rating accordingly, so watch this space, if you have found my review helpful.....

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]