3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but.........?, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Andrew James Premium Bread Maker With Automatic Ingredients / Nut And Raisin Dispenser - Includes 2 Year Warranty
I've owned this product for about a month now and made a fair bit of bread with it. I've followed recipies from a certain reputable company and played around abit with recipies on the net in addition to taking advice from friends with expierence with breadmakers.
TBH - i was very tempted to buy a panasonic but from reading all the good reviews on here, i thought i would risk it and save myself The £60 extra that i would cost for the panasonic.
I've made white bread, whole meal and grannery with this machine, and the results have been what i would term average. By average i mean, they are ok loaves but not entirely bread shaped. They all tend to sink just a little towards the end of the process (the bake). They come out square shaped but the consistency of the bread is ok. Now my mother reliably informs me, as i'm no expert on bread making, that all bread makers produce bread thats a little square. However my mate at work has a panasonic and he bought a loaf in that he made at home. It looked as if it was shop bought!!! I wouldn't have believed he made it, if it didn't have the paddle mark clearly visable in the bottom of it. Now there are two possiblities here. 1. This bread machine is not as good as the panasonics. 2. I'm not doing it right.
I've taken loads of advice from friends who make their own bread and i've even reseached it on the net so i understand whats happening through out the making process. i've tried more yeast, more sugar, more salt, less water etc.... and I'm reaching the point where i'm starting to think its the machine, as i've tried virtually everything to get my loaves bread shaped. If anyone has any advice please feel free to comment on this post but if you want my advice, spend the little extra and buy a panasonic if you want perfection. In hind sight i think thats what i should have done.
.....6wks later... Note: since this review, another colleague has bought a Panasonic. His bread is perfect everytime as well! My bread is still plagued by the same issues. I get slightly better results when baking on setting 1, which is supposed to be for white bread. They consistently sink when using setting 3 unless i lower the yeast content by 25%, which is the Granery/Malt/Brown setting. I'm definately going to invest in a panasonic at some point.

....... 2-3 months later - Ok i've sorted this and im happy now.:) I've found a recipe that works perfectly, giving me soft spongy light bread, but it must have a small pinch of a secret ingredient..... Vitamin C. Here goes.... I always use setting 1 at small loaf size and add the ingredients in this order. 270ml water, 1 tsp salt, 1tbs sugar, 2 tbs olive oil, 400g flour (I use 300g premium malt from bakery, 100g any white), make a hole in the flour and add 1tsp yeast, and a tiny bit of vitamin C (This is key to getting that extra bit of rise) turn the machine on....... Perfect mouth watering loaves every time. Finally happy with this machine. I would still probably opt for the better panasonic next time though, as they do seem to be alot less tempermental than this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Apr 2013 11:40:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Apr 2013 12:31:53 BDT
ChrisG says:
It may be that the external temperature fluctuates too much for your machine or it's sitting in a draught. I had this problem and put a folded tea towel over the viewing window to keep heat in. The tea towel or similar over the viewing lid does improve the rise and top crust as well. That's the reason some makes don't have a viewing window. If this doesn't help it's likely the breadmaker.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2013 09:59:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Apr 2013 10:00:10 BDT
Ok thanks Christine! I will give this a try! Although the temp in my flat is pretty constant. The room temp is normally around 20-21.5 degrees.

Posted on 20 May 2013 14:04:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2013 14:05:27 BDT
R Luff says:
I try and make sure Im around to close the little flap that lets the nuts etc in as I'm sure this creates a draft and stops the top of the loaf from rising.

Posted on 19 Jun 2013 22:54:40 BDT
jon c says:
i have exactly same issues and assume it the breadmaker any help appreciated

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2013 14:50:55 BDT
Hi Jon. Try the recipe I posted in the review, making sure all measurements are exact. It works for me fine every time using that recipe.

Posted on 6 Sep 2013 10:30:34 BDT
Retiredtenor says:
Bravo Doc! The first loaf that has a proper domed top. I would only add that I find it crisper done on dark crust and the addition of 3 or 4 tsps of assorted seeds makes it even tastier. For those that don't like weighing, the recipe is basically, 1 very full cup water, 1tbs sugar (I use dark brown), 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil, 1tsp salt, 2 cups malted bread flour, 1 cup extra strong white flour, 1/2 tsp powdered vitamin C (lemon juice is not so good) and 1tsp yeast. 700gm setting. Don't put the vit C in contact with the yeast if you are leaving it over night.

Posted on 6 Sep 2013 10:32:02 BDT
Retiredtenor says:

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2013 21:03:58 BDT
Hi Retiredtenor! Thanks for the feedback, and advice! I'm glad you found the recipe useful! :) I thought it worthwhile to post it after i had struggled for so long to get a recipe that produced a proper loaf! If you haven't already, try asking your local baker if you can buy some flour from them. I buy mine in bulk now 16Kg. Its cheaper than the supermarkets (£12), and the taste of the finished loaf is litterally mouth watering. The quality of the flour is far superior to anything i've tried from supermarkets. Thanks again, and good luck! :)

Posted on 15 Sep 2013 15:39:53 BDT
Kyloes says:
I have the same problem with my Andrew James bread maker and tried different things but still no joy. I will try your recipe thanks for that.I sent the first one back but the replacement was no better. I have an old model Panasonic which makes perfect bread no proplem, the Panasonic recipe does say to add Vitim C but the results ae great without it.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2013 19:02:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2013 19:05:25 BDT
Hi Kyloes. Let me know how you get on with the recipe i posted? It works without the vitamin C too, but i get about 20-25% more rise when i put a dab of Vitamin C in. I crushed up 3 x 500mg tablets when i first bought the breadmaker, and i've not needed to crush up any more since, so litterally a dab does the trick for me! TBH - I dont know why Andrew James doesn't spend a little time writing up some decent recipies in their guidance docs that they send out with the breadmakers. I'm sure it would reap massive rewards for them if they did. Anyway, Good luck! :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›