1.0 out of 5 stars Ghastly amateurish rubbish, 18 Oct 2008
This review is from: First Man In Rome (Masters of Rome) (Paperback)
I bought this after reading the same glowing reviews that you are now reading on Amazon. Warning bells sounded as soon as I saw the Art GCSE grade C level drawings of the main characters in the opening pages (why??). It is clumsily and unengagingly written, with countless childish references to sex and awkward, psuedo-poetic clichés, it comes across as a Godawful potboiler written by a Rome-obsessed adolescent girl. To end on a positive note, if you want to read historical fiction about Rome, I can thoroughly recommend any book from the 'Eagle' series by Simon Scarrrow or if it's a factual account you're after, 'Ancient Rome: the rise and fall of an empire' by Simon Baker is utterly gripping.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jan 2010 09:38:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Sep 2011 18:28:44 BDT
arbiter says:
first of all, the cover was not the author's choice.
"It is clumsily and unengagingly written" - NO, solid grammar, variety of vocabulary
"with countless childish references to sex" - WRONG address, go and read your playboy
"written by a Rome-obsessed adolescent girl" - NO, CmC is an adult neurologist
"if you want to read historical fiction about Rome, I can thoroughly recommend any book from the 'Eagle' series by Simon Scarrrow" - WRONG period (imperial Rome)
"or if it's a factual account you're after, 'Ancient Rome: the rise and fall of an empire' by Simon Baker is utterly gripping" - OR, better, watch the BBC-series.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2011 08:25:39 BDT
this must be the most inaccurate review of a book I've ever read on Amazon.I could not disagree with Arbiter more,wonder if you even read the book.A truely great read.Read the 7 books,you'll not be disappointed

Posted on 10 Nov 2011 00:01:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Nov 2011 00:01:52 GMT
Feanor says:
I wonder sometimes whether I inhabit the same universe as some people when their experience of something is such a complete polar opposite of mine that there must be something fundamentally wrong either with my or their grip on reality.

I'm not going to repeat what arbiter and Ian Davis said (Ian I think you named a commentor not the reviewer, I suspect you meant to refer to doonjaisi).

What I will say to anyone reading this is that some people would put up a bad review of sliced bread if they could. Ignore this review and just read the book, you won't be disappointed :).

(Unless it's not the reviewer that's unhinged but rather everyone else - kinda unlikely.)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2011 19:48:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Nov 2011 19:48:45 GMT
doonjaiasi says:
I posted my opinion on the book. You may agree with it, you may not. The difference between us is that I'm OK with people having a different opinion to my own.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2011 18:18:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Nov 2011 12:59:39 GMT
Feanor says:
Where did I say that I'm not OK with you having a different opinion to mine?

My point is that some people have different opinions that, although I disagree with them, I can understand where they're coming from or what talked them to their conclusion.

Other people have opinions that I just don't understand at all, and that I can't see how they came to their conclusions. Your review fits into the latter category for me.

That doesn't mean I think you're not entitled to your opinion - I just don't understand it and it's my opinion that people should not miss out on this excellent book because of your review. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2011 17:31:04 GMT
doonjaiasi says:
Kieran, I wasn't really referring to your comments but thanks for posting anyway.

Posted on 16 Jul 2013 11:26:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jul 2013 11:45:13 BDT
Victoria PK says:
I am quoting the review from Historical Novel Society that says: "Colleen McCullough's series Masters of Rome exhibits meticulous research and a subtle interpretation of the political history of Rome from the time of Marius through to Caesar... By carefully presenting her facts, McCullough seems to be daring some hypothetical pedant to challenge her flawless work. ". You might not like the book but you need to know more about Roman history before judging whether someone's book well researched. I don't think, of course, that you are a hypothetical pedant, I think that perhaps, ironically, the title of your review applies to you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (51 customer reviews)

£11.99 £9.59