5.0 out of 5 stars Adventures in NFC, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: NFC Tags - Kamor® NTAG203 Chip - Lifetime Warranty & High Quality After-sales Service - 10 X Waterproof NFC Tags + 1 X Free NFC Keychain + 12 X Stickers - Android Writeable & Programmable, Work with Apple iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, Blackberry Passport 4G, Blackberry Classic, Amazon Fire Phone, LG Google Nexus 4 / Nexus 5 / Nexus 6 / Nexus 7 / Nexus 9 / Nexus 10, New Nexus 7 2(2013), LG G3 G2, Sony Xperia Z3 / Z3 Compact, Sony Xperia Z2 / Z1 / Z1 Compact, Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Note 3 Note 2, Vodafone Smart 4, HTC Desire 510, HTC One First One X Droid DNA, HTC One M8 M9, HTC Windows Phone 8X, HTC Desire C/ 510/ 500/ 610, Nokia Lumia 930, Nokia Lumia 735, Motorola Google Nexus 6, Moto X, OPPO Find 7 / Find 5, Huawei Honor 6, Huawei Ascend G6 4G, Blackberry Bold 9900/9930, BlackBerry Q10/ Q5/ Z10/ Z30, BlackBerry Curve 9380, Acer Liquid S2 and Many Other NFC Enabled Phones - Smart Tags (Ntag 203) (Electronics)
I recently purchased a pack of NFC tags from Amazon to play around with my Nexus 4 phone. Within minutes I'd downloaded the free NFC Task Launcher app for Android and begun programming my tags. Here's what I did...

Tag 1: The Car

I've attached this tag to the dashboard in our car and it does the following to my phone:

Turns off wifi and enables mobile data
Turns up all of the volume settings to max
Opens my Google Music app, so I can choose a playlist to listen to

Tag 2: Welcome Home!

This tag is located on the bookcase just inside my front door. When I swipe my phone over it, the following happens:

Mobile data is turned off and wifi is turned on
Volumes are turned down to 50%
My phone forces a sync to check for new emails / updates etc.

Tag 3: Bed Time

Attached to the headboard of our bed, this tag sets my phone up for the night, it:

Sets my phone to silent
Turns off vibrate
Sets my alarm volume to full
I could also have it set an alarm, but I have a wife who is far more successful at waking me up than an alarm!

Tag 4: Washing Machine!

This one is my favourite, for out and out unnecessary geekiness! Attached to our washing machine, it:

Set the alarm on my phone for when the washing cycle is due to finish (I worked the length out) and this means I'm less likely to forget to dry stuff once it's washed.

It also sends an sms to my wife, telling her "I've put a load in the washing machine x".

This scores me some husband points and also remind her that there's a load in the washing machine that needs drying if I'm out when she gets home. Domestic bliss!

Tag 5: The Keyring

Along with the 10 tags I purchased came an additional tag on a keyring. I've programmed this one to check into Foursquare. Whenever I swipe my phone over the keyring, it opens up the list of nearby Foursquare locations and I simply tap the correct one to check in.

The future's...NFC?

I've only had the tags a few days and I've already found some neat (if not somewhat novel) uses for them, so I'm sure there'll be even more uses in the coming weeks. One of the cool things about these tags is that once a tag is programmed, any NFC enabled device can read it - so my wife can use the tags I've programmed with her phone as well.

You can program tags to do things such as log visitors into your home wifi network without them needing the password and a whole host of other things.

All in all a great buy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Oct 2013 16:28:48 BDT
Moaks says:
You sir have inspired me! Many thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2013 16:33:01 BDT
No problem, enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2013 20:48:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Dec 2013 21:11:30 GMT
Alan says:
Sorry to wee on everyone's bonfire but I've got a profiles app from the app store which doesn't require any of these tags or swiping like I work on Tesco's checkout but works on if, or, and, then logic. For example, at night: Between 12am - 8am phone switches to silent and data off. When I'm in at work: Time = 9am - 5pm AND cell tower locations = work then silent and wifi off. Satnav in my car: When AC power connected AND cell tower location are NOT home OR work then screen brightness 100% AND display time out infinite AND launch Google Maps. Etc etc etc. No swiping no tags and the combinations are endless. Easy. That said I thought your washing machine one was interesting but I'm sure with some thought I could get the same out of my app and then also I've never forgotten about the washing machine for more than an hour so not sure if this is actually a problem worth solving.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2014 10:14:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Feb 2014 10:15:38 GMT
rich20 says:
Alan, your point is valid however there is a flaw with the logical setup. Logic doesn't work with ambiguity, it only works with strict specifications that you define yourself. For example, take Task 3 from James' review "Betime." If you have booked a day off from work, or have the morning off for whatever reason then to cancel the alarm you just don't swipe the tag before going to bed. With the logic setup you would have to go into your settings to add an exception in for unique occurrences.

As an engineer I can see the advantage of setting up logic rules to change your settings but normal people (myself included) will not want to spend most of their time trying to understand how to set up rules and what should change. As an example, I've never used NFC before and I managed to download the app and write my first task in less than 5 minutes (enable Bluetooth, disable wifi, enable GPS & car mode). I can't see how writing logic rules could be any quicker than that.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2014 11:30:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Feb 2014 11:30:50 GMT
Alan says:
That's not the best example of refute my solution - why would you prefer to swipe 250 odd days per year (to enable the alarm) when you could disable it 30 odd times when you have a day off work. 250 efforts vs 30. You're missing the other advantages though - for example, mine recognises when I'm close to my gf's house and it sends her an sms so that she has five mins warning to get ready so we are ready at the same time - I don't even take the phone out of my pocket to do so. Until you try it you can't really say that it is difficult because it's very easy but there is a learning curve for when you feel so inclined.

Posted on 24 Feb 2014 00:37:09 GMT
Sword says:
Does it also wipe your bottom?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2014 23:10:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jun 2014 23:11:32 BDT
I like both ideas. For me i have wireless chargers at home, car and work. assuming these don't mess the tags up this could work well for me as i can stick the tags to the chargers where i place phone most of time. I also stay at office late so setting times may not work well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›