3.0 out of 5 stars I was sent the wrong power supply, twice!, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: IBM Lenovo T60 T61 X60 (65W Version) Laptop AC Adaptor Power Supply (Personal Computers)
Amazon managed to send me the wrong product, twice.

I bought this after my original was damaged. I needed a new one urgently, so I chose this seller, as it's fulfilled by Amazon and I have Amazon Prime. When I got it, a day late, it was the wrong power cord. It's lucky I studied physics, as it was the 90W version, but it only had "20V 4.5A" on the box so it wouldn't be immediately obvious.

I assumed that I had made a mistake when I ordered and immediately put in a second order, checking carefully that it was the 65W version. When it arrived (also a day late), it was the 90W version again. I've placed an order with a different seller, which cost more and entailed an 8.50 delivery charge.

I wouldn't recommend buying this until Amazon or the seller sort out what the problem is. I could easily have damaged my laptop and I'm very angry. I gave three stars as it isn't the fault of the actual product. If you do buy, check which version you have actually been sent.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Dec 2012 17:28:12 GMT
Devonian says:
Hmmm, you study physics? Then you should know that this, more powerful, 90W version will still only deliver what your laptop needs - and if that's only 60W, then it'll do just that - and with less stress than a 60W adapter. It will NOT be 'too powerful' or anything ike that; as long as the VOLTAGES are the same, your laptop will simply draw what it needs.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 04:43:28 GMT
L. McWilliam says:
Astrophysics, actually. I mentioned the physics as it gave me the background to calculate the power. I felt it was misleading to send the wrong cable. As for it being safe, please see below.

I mentioned the fact that it wasn't labeled as a 90W cable, only a 4.5A one. This isn't safe to use, especially as the cable I was replacing almost burned my flat down when it malfunctioned, I'm disabled and my nerves are messed up, so I sometimes don't feel burning heat. Not a good combination.

The fact remains that I didn't get what I wanted and paid for: a 65W cable. I ordered two from a different supplier and they were fine.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 23:26:57 GMT
Devonian says:
I was being a bit facetious, I admit :-).

The point I was making, tho', is that 4.5A is the 'max' rating for this this transformer, and if your laptop only requires 3A, then that is ALL it'll draw. This PSU can be considered a 'heavier duty' version of the 60W one, and, if anything, should be safer in use as it won't be running at anything approaching full capacity.

If it really did burn its cable, then that has nothing to do with it being a 4.5A device - it has everything to do with it either being faulty or damaged. And that would apply to any PSU.

I'm pleased you are now sorted, but I didn't want anyone to be misled into thinking that this 4.5A PSU isn't a suitable replacement for a 3A fellow - provided the VOLTAGES are the same. On the other hand, a 3A PSU will NOT be suitable for a 4.5A laptop as it'll always be overloaded.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›