5.0 out of 5 stars A truly incredible remote., 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: Logitech Harmony One UK - Advanced Universal Remote Control (Accessory)
I have been using the Harmony One for a week now and it's my first venture into universal remote controls.

My set-up is:
TV - Hitachi plasma
Surround sound - Yamaha AV receiver
DVD - Toshiba
Freeview - Humax PVR

For these I had 4 remotes, most of which I used just for the on/off buttons or to change the input sources. The freeview remote got most use.

I installed the software and plugged in the remote, added my "devices" (TV, DVD, AV, PVR) and it stepped me through the set-up of the remote, only asking for 3 infra-red inputs from the freeview remote to recognise its configuration. It then asked how I use my devices; what channel is the TV set to, how do I control my sound etc. for each "activity" (watch tv, watch dvd, ...)

Within 20mins the remote was fully functional. "Watch TV" turns on the TV, the AV receiver and the freeview box, all to the correct inputs. "Watch DVD" turns off the freeview box, turns on the DVD player, and changes the sound and TV to the correct inputs. All with a press of a button - or more precisely, with a touch of the touch screen.

The remote is HIGHLY customisable and I'd recommend for you to take time after the initial setup to make the most of the functions this remote offers. Such as:
When I watch TV, I've changed the touchscreen to show the following - a button which brings up the list of Recorded Programmes and a button to switch from TV to Radio (through the PVR). Below this, the 4 colour buttons. Yes, I know that not having hard buttons for the colours is a bit odd, but the touchscreen is very capable and I've adjusted easily to looking for the buttons there.

In addition to that, I filled the "favourites" screens on the remote with channel icons (freely available from iconharmony dot com in the correct image sizes). This both looks and works brilliantly!
I also added an activity to listen to digital radio through the PVR, without having the TV switched on. Again, I loaded some favourite stations onto the remote so I can switch channels without having to switch the TV on.
All of these changes can be done on the software, and stored online, and when ready, plug in the remote and sync it.

Overall this is one amazing device. It feels light but sturdy, the button configuration is excellent, all the main buttons are easy to reach, the touchscreen is very responsive and the charging dock is a real winner (no more hunting or swapping batteries when they run out!).

The other remotes have now been consigned to the loft!!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]