4.0 out of 5 stars happily surprised, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: 8" 21cm Cross Stitch Embroidery Wooden Hoop Craft
A couple of months (or so) ago I discovered that my sewing kit had been "misplaced" after we'd had visitors, so I've had to start rebuilding what has been lost. That is over 30 years of sewing equipment - much of it being items which have been passed down from generation to generation and, as such, are heartbreakingly irreplaceable.

I started with the main components that I use all the time - scissors (embroidery and shears), sewing needles (both tapestry and sharps), tape measures and embroidery hoops of various sizes.

The hoops I was used to working with had been given to me by my mother when she first taught me to sew. They were given to her when she first learnt to sew as a child, so they had been well used and had a lovely colour and smoothness.

I needed a hoop (at least one) and, though I have used 4 inch hoop, I must admit that I find it almost impossible to work with anything smaller than an 8 inch.

So I took my time and looked around. I discovered that my local "knitting" shop has changed hands and they only stocked small rings which weren't true adjustable ones, but rather the flexible display rings (like this one).

I went to a famous hobby shop and found rings like these at just under 10 times the price! I contacted my favourite supplier "Willow Fabrics" in Mobberley but they were out of the rings size I was looking for so, being desperate I decided to risk it and buy this one which was supplied by "The Quilted Bear".

I felt a little rough when it arrived but, as my mother pointed out, it would smooth out over time and there were no areas of it where it might pull the delicate material threads - I have a piece of Chinese silk which was previously ruined and rolled it around the hoop to check and it did not pull, neither did it pull when I took it off and on the material.

The adjustable nut is easy to use and stays tight.

Overall I am happily surprised by the hoop and look forward to using it for many years to come, obviously it isn't of the quality of those old ones which had been handed down to me but it is highly unlikely that you could get any of those these days anyway.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jan 2013 23:12:31 GMT
Gigi says:
Thank you for such beautiful review. You have been really helpful to me as I am a beginner in sewing. I feel safe buying these. Thank you.
Geraldine.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2013 02:19:43 GMT
Su says:
Any time - I'm glad you found it helpful.

If there is anything I can help you with please let me know

Posted on 5 Jun 2013 13:23:55 BDT
Lu says:
Susan I read your review and I'm so sorry that you 'lost' all of your sewing kit. It's heartbreaking with everything having so much sentimental value to you. People will probably read this and think what a pointless comment, but just wanted to send you a big hug and say how sorry I am, xx

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2013 21:34:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jun 2013 18:55:31 BDT
Su says:
Thank you Lu, I really appreciate it, and it's nice to know that someone understands the loss. I have to admit that most of my friends and some of my family don't understand why I was (and still am) heartbroken.

So many of the items "lost" were connected to the family - my great grandmother's silver thimble, a pair of silver scissors; my great grandfather's penknife; my grandmother's mother of pearl penknife and fold up embroidery scissors; my grandfather WW1 army issue knife; my Uncle Frank's Royal Marine's cap crest; my mum's shears that she had when she was training, the hoops, needles, crochet hooks, threads, etc.

The longer time goes on the more I discover is missing - such as photos of my godfather in his desert rat uniform, Frank in his Royal Marine's uniform and notifications of his commandos status and his death, and so on. With every discovery the feeling of loss is renewed, somethings are obviously more important than others ... anything to do with my Granddad, Uncle Frank or Godfather are especially heartbreaking for me. I'm just thankful that my Granddad's "Soldier's Bible" wasn't in it. I'd taken it out the day before and it was in the drawer by my table. Phew!!!

What I don't understand is how they got it out of the house without being seen - it wasn't exactly small.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›