2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to spec!, 29 May 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire One 722 11.6 inch Netbook - Black (AMD Dual-Core C-60 1GHz, RAM 2GB, HDD 320GB, LAN, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit) (Personal Computers)
After quite a lot of research,looking for a Netbook for use by my constantly travelling daughter,this Aspire 722 appeared to fit the bill. According to the Manufacturers description it is good for viewing YouTube,iPlayer etc.etc. and with an HDMI out for HD (should one ever want to watch HD on an external screen)and of course, wifi and portable with fair battery life,smallish dimensions and reasonable weight, the specification should have been more than adequate.
The first thing I noticed was a rather cheap feel to the keyboard,not something I had encountered in previous laptop/netbooks. Then,we had great difficulty connecting to wifi - reasonable when just a few feet from the router,but terrible in the next room where the connection kept dropping out and, when connected, did so at a very low signal strength with desperately slow loading.So,unreliable wifi connectivity...This despite perfectly acceptable results on my old Acer Aspire laptop in use next to it. It was impossible to load any HD streams,and even tho' the old laptop seemed to be functioning satisfactorily,I had a thought there might be a problem with the router's signal/strength. Taking the 722 home,I tried it with my own FTTC hi-speed broadband wifi((20+ MBps) and it still failed the HD tests,only running adequately in the lower resolutions. Also tried it with a LAN cable,still sluggish! Finally,even downloaded HD content ran jerkily.
A huge disappointment to my daughter (a failed birthday present!), and to myself, it was returned to Amazon. Great service from them,Thanks!- collected the following morning and refund in place four days later!
Our problem now is to find a good substitute - netbooks fast becoming obsolete,Ultrabooks and Apple too expensive,and tablets not suitable......
My 5-year old solidly built Acer laptop is still going strong,so what has happened to the brand?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jun 2012 14:20:34 BDT
Given just one other bad review but quite a few excellent reviews, is it possible that you simply had a dud machine? Were there some problem with sluggish wifi and wire internet connectino, I'm sure the others would also have mentioned it.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2012 15:28:39 BDT
Sam Scanner says:
Indeed,I was concerned that it could be a wifi connectivity problem,even a dud machine. WiFi over anything but very short range was very poor,indicating a possible fault. However,you will see in my review that I tried it on a good router,which produced an 'excellent' signal on the netbook and it was still jerky on anything above 480p.
An indication that it was not just the fault of the wifi was by my using hardwired LAN connection to the router - but still no improvement! So I conclude that the system cannot really handle HD - unless there is some arcane setting for the graphics chip....? In many other aspects the netbook was acceptable - but the HD component did not match the manufacturers spec. If you are content with low res. then I would rate this at 4 stars, but I was not prepared to risk an exchange and find the same issues. So I have ordered (from Amazon) a more expensive,and somewhat larger 13" higher specc'd alternative make -in the hope that it will meet our requirements. We have two Acer laptops,one with 3 years,and the other with in excess of 5 years of hard use,and both still working well,so it does lead me to question current builds!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 00:45:43 BDT
P Wagg says:
Hi there - what was the alternative you ordered? And are you happy with it? Many thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 00:45:57 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 10:12:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2012 10:17:24 BDT
Sam Scanner says:
In the end I opted for the Lenovo Z370,which is in a different category in both cost and spec.! It weighs about 1.5 lbs.more - so a bit heavier for transportation- has a 13.3" screen,Core i5 processor,DVD multi drive and other plus features. It is also almost twice the cost! However,it does have a decent graphics card (NVidia Geforce 410M 512MB/1GB) in addition to the on-board graphics chip,and handles HD content excellently - tho of course the screen is not HD ( 1366x768) WiFi reception is excellent.The build quality is superior to the Acer,but of course,you get what you pay for! I could find no other netbook with a similar spec to the 722,at least one that was still available.It seems that Ultrabooks are making netbooks redundant,but currently at quite a high cost.Hope this is of help.I should add that I accept that it is possible I had a 'dud' 722 - and that a fully functioning example may well meet the published spec. but my experience made me question going for an exchange. Anyway,Amazon must be applauded for their service.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2012 18:40:14 BDT
P Wagg says:
Many thanks indeed for such a comprehensive reply. I think I'm going to end up getting one more laptop in the end - just so much more computing power for the money!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2012 20:28:10 BDT
Sam Scanner says:
My final purchase was a compromise between netbook and laptop - not perfect, but less expensive than an Ultrabook.Were it not for the better portability of the Z370 I'm sure my daughter would have been more than satisfied with one of the many choices of laptops - as I would with the lower cost/higher spec ratio! Many good deals around!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2012 21:52:59 BDT
queue monkey says:
The AMD C60 processor is just not up to the job of HD video. The up and coming 756 model should be a lot better. You need an Intel Atom 2800 or an AMD e450 for for faultless HD handling.

This is another example of dumping old technology on the brits. Just compare the specs of netbooks on the acer.com vs the acer.co.uk websites.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›