5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha P105 Digital Piano, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Yamaha P105 Portable Digital Piano - Black (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was astonished when this came up on Amazon Vine and leapt at the chance to receive and review it. I only tinker on piano but in the past my wife was really into it. We already had a digital piano (a Bentley something-or-other) but it was pretty cheap and you could tell from the sound so I was very happy to be able to replace it with a Yamaha, who's reputation for making pianos is very good.

I was a little surprised at first when I opened the box as the piano actually feels quite cheap, especially compared to my our old one which was partly made with wood (or something that looked like wood). The P105 is much lighter and, alas, does not come with a stand (or fit the old one we have) so that's something to bear in mind. If you buy this and want a stand, you'll have to fork out an extra £85 (ish) for it.

That's the only negative thing I have to say about it however, as when I turned it on and had a try I was very impressed. As I've already said, I don't have much experience with pianos but I do have some. To me, the keys felt as weighty as a real piano and the sound, while digital can never compare with a real grand, is excellent. It far outshines the old piano.

The other voices, including another variation of grand, four electric pianos, three organs, vibraphone, harpsichord, strings, wood bass and electric bass, all vary in quality. The pianos and organs are all good but the strings and harpsichord are a little ropey. The basses are pretty good though.

One feature I love is the ability to split the keyboard into two sections (the bottom 29 keys and the top 49) which I can see being very useful in the future if our children want to learn how to play.

The piano also comes with a sustain pedal and music stand. Again, they feel a bit cheap but they do the job (although depending on how heavy footed you are, I don't know how long the pedal would last!)

On the back the piano has a USB socket, sustain pedal socket, expansion pedal socket (for a three-pedal board), two jack aux out (left and right) and the power socket. On the from there are two large headphone jack sockets.

Overall I'm very happy with the piano and expect to get years of use out it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]