1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 25 July 2013
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/ Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration) (Accessory)
The signal from my wireless router is fairly weak on my roof terrace and I wanted to increase its range, so thought, based on the specs and reviews here, that this would be the perfect solution. I chose this over the Huawei as the reviews were better and it was faster too, if a little more expensive.

After finally getting it to work (the supplied instructions are VERY poor) I have noticed a lower signal on my terrace than before. The range extender is placed at the door to the terrace (and is physically visible from everywhere on it), but when out on the terrace the best signal I can get is only 1-2 bars on my tablet, or 2-3 bars on my laptop. The furthest I can go away from the range extender is about 20 feet, as any further will see me fall off the roof and hurtle downwards at rapid speed, but the signal falls off before this - it disappears around 14-15 feet away from the range extender - it's not being obstructed as I have clear line of sight of it, and moving it to different positions makes no difference.

Before using the range extender I was able to reliably get a signal of 3 bars (occasionally 4-5) on the tablet and a consistent 3 (occasionally 4-5) on the laptop on most parts of the terrace. Even at only 3-4 feet from the range extender though, the signal is only 2 bars on the tablet, which is what it was in the same position when using the signal from the wireless router without the range extender.

I've tried various settings and resets, but nothing seems to be making any difference. To confuse things even more, the control interface for the device says it's v1, but on the box it says it's v1.2! There isn't a firmware upgrade available for it as the website says they don't apply to v1 devices!

I'm disappointed and a little p*ssed off to be honest as I was expecting this to solve my weak(ish) signal problem, and after 48 hours TP-Link's tech support haven't replied to my support request, which isn't impressive.

The low rating is for a product which actually doesn't do what it's supposed to do (at least for me), comes with very poor instructions, has contradictory information in and on the packaging and has what appears to be poor/no support from the maker.

I could well have got a faulty unit, but the lack of support from TP-Link just isn't acceptable, so unfortunately it's back to Amazon for a refund.

Not impressed at all.

Update: 31st July at 22h30

I finally received a reply from TP-Link support, a full 6 days after submitting my support request. They sent an email to tell me there was a reply to my support ticket on their support website, so I logged in to read it, but couldn't. After logging-in and going to the page containing the reply, trying to open the reply threw me back to the login page, where I tried logging-in again only to be told that the login details which I had successfully used 30 seconds before, were wrong! I tried this a few times with the same result and eventually reset my password, which worked fine during the login process, but when I tried again to read the support ticket reply, the same thing happened again, i.e. I was sent back to the login screen and told that my login details were wrong. Clearing cache and cookies made no difference.

This is a joke, but it's academic now as I've sent the device back to Amazon and have already received my refund.

TP-Link really need to get their act together as they've just lost a customer. I'm sure they'll survive losing one, but it seems I'm not the only one with issues with their products...

[Add comment]