2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Beneath This Man (Kindle Edition)
I gave the first book 5 Stars. The book received some flack from American reviewers about all the Britishisms. Well it would appear the author took note and this second book has definitely lost its British feel and it's sparkle.

I loved the first book because it was so witty. I loved Ava's interactions with her friends Kate and Tom. Unfortunately, this second book is not as witty and we don't get as much of Kate and Tom.

The first book had a lot of sex. This second book is just one great big sex scene. There is far too much sex in it. I got bored reading the sex scenes. I would say the sex scenes in this book are far better than in the first book. I did enjoy the sex scene set in the gym. I have never read one quite like that before!

I didn't find Jesse sexy in the first book. In this book, he made my skin crawl. He is far too possessive to the fact that I started to feel uncomfortable when I was reading it. There was a review on the American site of the first book where someone likened it to domestic abuse and I defended the author (and even got accused of being the author!). I stick by that as I didn't feel like that with the first book but I'm afraid in this book, Jesse did come across that way. He didn't want Ava to work, he didn't want her going out with Kate (he had to attend their lunch date as well). He told her what to wear. She wasn't allowed to drink. He showed up everywhere..at her work appointments etc. His reaction to stuff was very over the top and he wants to control Ava. None of this sat well with me.

Now to Ava. In the first book I liked her but felt she was immature and naive. Omg, in this book she did my head in! She wants answers from Jesse but all he has to do is have sex with her and she forgets to ask him or decides its not important. I can't say too much about why she annoyed me as it will give spoilers but when she does get some of the answers she wants, she seemed to forgive and forget so easily.

I was actually disappointed with the answers we were looking for. Each one was an anti climax. To me, this whole story could have been told in one book. I'm not a fan of trilogies but I think this would have worked better as a series of books, the first one being Jesse and Ava's story, the next one Kate and Sam (or Dan!). I can't see how the author can drag this story out into a third book.

To be honest, I was bored reading this book. It dragged on and on. What is amazing is the whole book is only just over a week in their lives but it felt like a year! I'm not even sure if I will read the third book now. I wish the author well but I can't help being disappointed in this offering.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]