5.0 out of 5 stars A truly outstanding horror film, 31 May 2007
This review is from: The Eye (Collector's Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
I will just make one thing clear before I continue, just so I don't mislead anybody into thinking that this is a gory blood and guts type of horror movie because it most certainly isn't, it is a ghost story but it has as much right to be classed as a horror film as any other type of horror film.

I have seen as many horror films as most people. I grew up with them as a child in the early 1980's and this is one of the scariest I have have ever seen, which is a huge compliment from me as most (not all of them) horror films that have been made over the last ten years at least, have been one over hyped disappointment after the other. I first saw this on channel 4 in 2006 and at the time I had never heard of it, but after seeing it once I will never forget it.

This for me along with the japanese version of The Grudge, is a modern horror film at it's most scary and most beautiful. I agree with the person below about the main character being really likeable, I genuinely cared about her. If they were to remake this in America for the trendy brigade, then I am guessing that they will have the ususal irritating teen attitude type to play the lead role. I saw a review of this film somewhere that said this was just a rip off of The Sixth Sense, all I will say about that comment is that the only thing that this has in common with that film is that the main character can see ghosts and that is where the similarity ends.

I won't go into the story as I am guessing you will already have some idea as to what it is all about. Although there are a lot of scary scenes, there a few in particular that I have listed below which I personally found the scariest, but don't worry as I am not going into too much detail so won't spoil it for you.

1) The scene in the cafe, which I found really creepy but beautifully filmed.

2) The scene on the train (look very carefully at the reflection through the windows when it goes under a tunnel as you could easily miss it). If you don't notice it then I shall be very worried.

3) The your sitting in my chair scene (you will understand what I mean when you watch it). I know it is just a saying but this scene really did almost make me jump out of my skin and made me go cold and pale, it is absolutely timed to perfection.

To cut a long story short, if you like ghost stories or horror movies in general then this is an absolute must see.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]