5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Keyboard With Good Mouse, 22 Mar 2011
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Combo MK520 (Electronics)
Logitech Wireless Combo MK520

I waited a few days before writing this review so that I had time to access the product properly, and as it turned out that was a very wise thing to do.

I originally bought the Logitech MK320 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, and although the keyboard was fine, I had issues with the quality of the mouse. It was very small and the scroll wheel was course and unpleasant to use. I decided to try the MK520 instead, and although the difference in price was only £7.00, the MK520 is in a totally different league.

The first thing you notice about the keyboard is how classy it looks, especially with a lovely clear perspex trim encircling the whole keyboard which adds a real air of sophistication. The build quality is superb and far superior to the MK320. The keys have a bigger surface area than a standard keyboard, which means the keys are very close together with very little space between them. Your fingers can glide from one key to the other very smoothly which makes typing a real pleasure. I was also pleasantly surprised to find the Caps Lock key had a green LED indicator which is sadly lacking on a lot of wireless keyboards. The shortcut keys can be pre-programmed to individual preferences if you download the Setpoint software from Logitech's website, but in effect I've found this to be unnecessary as they are already programmed to open your homepage, emails and control your media player etc, so I really can't see the point, unless you need on screen alerts regarding the Caps Lock and Nums Lock.

The keyboard and mouse are connected to the PC with Logitech's Unifying USB Receiver, which has clearly been designed with lap tops in mind as it's so tiny you can hardly notice it when inserted into a USB socket. The USB receiver supplied with the MK320 is about 4 times as big. The only downside of this is that I found it cut down the range of the MK520 when compared to the MK320. Logitech quote a range of 10 metres or 30 feet with line of sight, but with the receiver inserted into the back of my desktop PC, I found this cut down the range to approximately half of the figures quoted. Nevertheless that still meant I could use the keyboard a good 15 feet away from the PC, something that you wouldn't want to do anyway as you wouldn't be able to see the screen, so in effect it's all academic and certainly not a problem.

The M310 laser controlled mouse that complements the keyboard is far bigger than the one supplied with the MK320 and has sculptured rubberised sides for a comfortable hold. I initially still had big issues with the scroll wheel though, it didn't seem any better than the MK320 mouse and was course, very notchy, noisy and quite unpleasant to use. This was a big disappointment as it was the main complaint that I had with the MK320, and the main reason I turned to the MK520 hoping for a better quality mouse. Had I reviewed this product on initial impressions I would certainly have knocked a couple of stars off of my rating, even with the keyboard being so impressive. I've now used this mouse for nearly a week and clearly it needed 'running in' as the scroll wheel is now far improved. It runs a lot more freely, feels far less notchy, and is now virtually silent. The mouse is also very responsive, works on virtually any surface except glass and is now quite a pleasure to use. It glides over my mouse pad effortlessly

Logitech quote a really impressive battery life for both the keyboard and mouse, naturally dependant on the amount of use, so I really can't comment on that aspect of the product yet, but both the keyboard and the mouse go into 'sleep mode' when not in use so there's no need to turn them off, they turn themselves off automatically.

All in all this is an absolutely superb product, the keyboard alone is worth the money, and with my issues with the mouse now resolved, I can highly recommend it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Nov 2011 10:42:06 GMT
Fantastic review, thank you! :)

Posted on 27 Jun 2012 06:58:14 BDT
Excellent review Mike. Bought one on the back of your review and have not been disappointed. Thanks for taking time to share with others!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 02:00:09 BDT
Mike Smith says:
It's a pleasure I always try to give credit where it's due. Just to let you know that since I wrote that review I'm still on the same batteries for the keyboard and only ever had to change the battery in the mouse once and I use it 8-12 hours a day so you really can't ask for more than that. Enjoy :)

Posted on 31 Jul 2012 21:04:54 BDT
M. Warren says:
Many thanks for the review-just what I wanted to hear. I will now buy one to replace my 4 year old Logitech set-up which is just about word out!

Posted on 12 Oct 2013 23:49:27 BDT
Sparkz says:
From my experience, I wouldn't totally agree. The keyboard was great for a few months until I started having problems with sticky keys. The ones in the bottom left: Shift, Ctrl and Alt. Every so often they just stick down. At times this has proved to be a real pain and even lost some of my work because of this - a sticking Ctrl can be disastrous. I'm not rough with my keyboards, don't spill food products into them and they're not covered in dust - I just use it a lot and I type fast.

The problem would appear to be with the design with the wider keys, when they are not hit dead center. I have applied special plastic lubricant around the inner part of the key which has helped a lot but I do find it annoying that I should have to do this. I see others have had the same problem, so if you're planning on using this for heavy duty work you may want to try another.

However, it doesn't put me off buying Logitech products. I have used dozens over the years and will continue to do so. This is the first time I've had a problem like this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (246 customer reviews)

£49.99 £35.00