3.0 out of 5 stars A valiant attempt - but not enough good songs !, 29 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Romantic? (1990) (Audio CD)
After the abysmal 1986 album " Crash " the League disappeared for another four years - I thought that was it for them, but then they were back with a great image, and a comeback single " Heart Like a Wheel", which showed some real promise that they would have learnt from previous experience and not dumb down their music, handing all control over to a couple of dodgy american producers, who did them no favours at all. Romantic? has its flaws, some quite serious, but like Hysteria from 1984-5, it did mix some extremely good songs with some obvious duds.
Personally I think the real gems are, "Kiss the Future"; " The Stars are going out" and " Rebound" - all of which are excellent
in every way. There are then some middling songs such as " Men are Dreamers" and " Soundtrack to a Generation" - which I think should have been left off the album. The other songs I find very hard to like, the last two tracks being quite annoying and out of style with the good stuff on the album.
Overall, I think this album is worth owning for the good songs as they really are some of the best songs the League have created,so all in all 50/50. This album is getting increasingly hard to find, and unless you want a bidding war on e-bay, its worth buying on Amazon even if it does cost a bit more as you are assured of obtaining a copy. I think this will definitely turn into a collector's item, if you manage to get a copy - Keep it well looked after as you may make some money on it in the next few years. Apart from that it does make a pleasant listening experience - just wish it was crammmed full of great songs.
Check out " Secrets", the League's album from 2001- Now theres a great album- and very much on top form. I think that one is a serious rival to Dare ( 1981 )

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jun 2009 13:14:45 BDT
I don't get why people are so down on Soundtrack to a Generation. The lyric is wonderful and means a lot to me. I love lines like "Years have gone on inbetween but all I knew at 17 is all I know now. Through times of joy and suffering the music flavours everything, that's all I know now." Just so wonderful. My fourt tracks are 'Stars are going out', 'Heart Like a Wheel' 'Rebound' and 'Soundtrack to a Generation'.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2010 00:05:27 GMT
Mr Williams, I completely and utterly agree with you! The song 'Soundtrack' is a snappy, charming little number. The line you mentioned is very cool. If it was on 'Dare' no one would complain. I think 'Dare' is likely overrated. I've always disliked 'Mirror Man' anyway (dumber than hell and cheesy) and 'Open Your Heart' is their least melodic single afterwards, sounding more a musical experiment than a finished song. The 4 tracks you mention from 'Romantic' are God damn cool!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2010 21:54:47 GMT
G. Donaldson says:
Indeed, for me, Soundtrack to a Generation is this great album's high point and one of my all time League favourites!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2012 15:36:15 BDT
Marcin De says:
I also agree. "Soundtrack..." has one of the greatest lyrics they ever had. "Stars Are Going Out" is my favourite piece on "Romantic?" and it also has great great lyrics and a dark introspective atmosphere. "Rebound," "Heart Like a Wheel" and maybe "A Doorway" are also great. The rest is somehow wishy-washy for me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (10 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist