5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect phone for parents! I LOVE IT (jargon-free review), 11 April 2013
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 820 Sim-free Windows Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
I was skeptical about getting the 820 - the 920 was way out of my budget and the 720 wasn't available on the network that I wanted. Looking on it online, I thought it looked rather blocky and ugly compared to it's siblings. I was hoping to try it out with the intention of possibly returning it. However I have fallen absolutely in love with it!

Admittedly I am not a smartphone expert, I've played around with IPhones, HTCs and Samsungs now and again but have felt pretty deflated by anything on the market. I simply wanted something pretty, practical and super easy to use - preferably with good parental controls for my toddler (something which my boyfriends iPhone severely lacks in). I also wanted something with a good camera & room for external storage (to double up as an MP3 player.

Camera - Rear facing Camera is great, front facing camera is pretty poor & grainy (I hear from other reviews that the 720 is better in that department). App store has plenty of camera filter apps although no Instagram currently available. There is also an app that makes your own animated GIFS (AWESOME) and Smart shoot which I have yet to try.

Lookswise - I've always been a little biased for Lumias because in my opinion they are the best looking smartphones out there (I have a thing for the colour yellow so a glossy, yellow phone is my idea of heaven). However I thought that the 820 looked a little underwhelming in it's internet photos compared to the other Lumia models. In the flesh, it looks pretty swish! Not as thick as I was expecting. Still saving up for that yellow colour though...(they're around 20-25 each!) It's worth going to a phone shop and trying a tester if unsure. The screen is bigger than I expected and colours are very vibrant (some people say too vibrant but fine for me - black really looks black).

Usability - So far easy peasy. The tiles are fun to move around, re-colour and resize. The phone is super fast and the touchscreen is apparently sensitive enough to use with gloves. No real qualms with the usability although when I started it up, it told me to sign in with facebook - which then converted all my facebook friends into my 'contacts' which I didn't want and didn't know how to get rid of without deleting my facebook account off that setting. After that, I downloaded a seperate facebook app and solved the problem.

Apps/Games - selection not bad although not as good as Iphone/Android, good for xbox users as you can unlock achievements and add onto your existing gamer score points. CityScape seems great, sadly haven't tried the Satnav/maps yet. I personally haven't felt short-changed on apps (there's still apps for every department) although veteran smartphone users might. All plays well without freezing so far.

Music/Storage - 8GB with room for a 64GB micro SD card. I didn't really get on with Nokia Radio (which is just a streaming mix of free music of a chosen genre) but there is a Spotify app for those who want an alternative. There's an Xbox Music store which I haven't perused yet and probably wont use.

Kids Corner - Now THIS was the selling point for me. When you lock your phone, if you swipe the screen sideways you will find yourself in 'Kids Corner'. This is a little area where you can move apps too and your little ones wont be able to escape into your contacts without a code of your choosing. They also cannot buy extras advertised within the app in that mode. Youtube Junior is a brilliant free app that has a disabled search function, but series of cartoons/kids programmes already set out for your kids to choose (including Pocoyo, which my toddler was thrilled about!). Kids app selection is alright, again not as good as you'd find on an Iphone but a wide selection nonetheless. Kinectimals is particularly good - like a tamagotchi with incredible graphics. I'm sure any parents with young children obsessed with phones who've had to hang up on the Emergency Services in a flurry will realise that this is a godsend! I can't sell this feature enough!!

This phone may perhaps not be for the die-hard smartphone fan, but it is absolutely perfect for me as a busy mum. Thanks for reading :')

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Jun 2013 00:55:10 BDT
Just thought I'd let you know that there's an unofficial Instagram app called "Instance" for Windows Phone 8, which has a free ad-supported version and a paid ad-free version. Worth a look, though I personally don't use Instagram.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2013 21:38:15 BDT
Thank you!

Posted on 19 Jul 2013 23:07:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jul 2013 23:08:02 BDT
Sue A says:
I wish Amazon would say if these are locked into a network or not. can you use an O2 sim In it?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2013 22:50:41 BDT
pointyhat says:
They are SIM free. You can stick any SIM in it. I have a giffgaff one in mine which is the same underlying carrier as O2.

Posted on 4 Sep 2013 16:29:25 BDT
A quick note: I have a black 820 & bought a little soft gel yellow cover for 1.99....that could be an option till you're ready to get a full clip on back cover....the yellow is pretty cool I think!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2013 23:02:24 BDT

Posted on 27 Sep 2013 16:21:42 BDT
M. Burke says:
Is this an officially unlocked phone? Im living in Ireland so I need to know that this phone will work with my SIM over here.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2013 18:20:50 BDT
Jelly says:
They are sim-free but I would double check with amazon that they can work with sim cards purchased abroad (I couldn't see why not though?)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›