5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for using on the go, 16 Sept. 2013
This review is from: ASUS Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC) (Personal Computers)
Up until recently I was using an iPad 1 for my tablet needs. Unfortunately the device has had to be retired as it was running slower than Russell Grant through a vat of treacle, had become incredibly unresponsive and had taken to randomly deleting my text in numerous apps. After some online research and recommendations from techy forums, I decided to plump for the new Nexus 7 2013 model.

So far I have been impressed with the device. It is lightweight and portable, the design of the tablet is fairly attractive (although it picks up fingerprints like nobodies business!), the display is sharp and colourful and the sound reasonable for a device of this size. Set-up is quick and painless, easily completed in a handful of steps upon activating the tablet for the first time. It links seamlessly with your Google account which allows you to import your bookmarks, YouTube channels and other important data with minimal problems and use of time.

Having used an iPad previously it did take a little time to adjust to the new operating system. Although at first I was struggling to find the correct screens to configure my apps and change my settings, with patience and time the steps became second nature. At the bottom of the screen three buttons are usually displayed allowing the user to navigate backwards, return to the home screen or access a list of all the currently opened apps. I find this latter button especially helpful as it easily allows the closure of apps running in the background that otherwise could slow performance. This is more obvious than the double-click of the iPad home button which had eluded some of my less technologically able relatives until I informed them of it. The Nexus touch-screen is very responsive - much more so than my old first-gen iPad - although I have noticed some interruption to my typing when apps are updating automatically in the background.

One thing I am enjoying with the Nexus over my old iPad is how much more configurable the device is. It is great to be able to have widgets on your lock and home screens, allowing important information to be digested at a glance. The myriad of security options available, such as PIN codes and swipe patterns, also put my mind at ease, helping me feel confident that my details and passwords won't be easily accessed by nefarious parties.

The Nexus comes ready bundled with a host of useful apps such as YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail, and Google+. Many more apps can be accessed by the Google Play store, which I find more accessible and easy to navigate than the iStore on my iPad - personal preference, I assure you; I'm sure many reading this will disagree. Certain apps, such as BBC weather, for example, allow you to display useful information on your lock and home screens via widgets - great for checking the weather or your important meetings for the day at a glance without having to navigate through three or four screens.

The Nexus comes with built-in front and back facing cameras. Although the quality of the images isn't high enough to enable you to ditch your standalone camera, they certainly serve their purpose, allowing you to video call via Skype, take screenshots of your tablet or take snaps for your gallery.

When you think about the fact that you are getting all of the above for less than two-hundred notes, you can't fail to be impressed.

There are a few minor quibbles, however, that some people might not appreciate. Although the device looks nice enough, the top/bottom bevel is quite large. This doesn't bother me but I know how important aesthetics are to certain consumers these days. If these bevels had been reduced the tablet would have been substantially more compact than it already is. Anyone, like me, coming to the smaller Nexus 7 from a larger tablet may initially have a hard time with the smaller display. It can make certain websites more difficult to navigate unless turned on its side which can take some getting used to. Again, this didn't really bother me after a while, but the more pedantic user may be put off by this. Finally, although I do not wish to put this to the test, I fear the tablet might not be sturdy enough to withstand many accidental drops or continuous mistreatment inside a handbag or backpack, so be sure you show it plenty of tender loving care!

To summarise, for the price, you get a whole lot of content with your Nexus. If you are looking for a smaller, more portable option to your iPad or larger tablet for a reasonable price then I can't recommend the Nexus 7 2013 highly enough.

[Add comment]