4.0 out of 5 stars Exercise Bike, 6 July 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
Ordered on 4th of July and arrived on the morning of July the 6th.
I assembled it by myself, it was very strait forward and quick, around 30-40 minutes total.
I've just completed my first hour on it at level 6 difficulty, which burned an indicated 630 calories, covering around 27km. Realistically this would be more along the lines of 300 calories, I know this because I ride the same distance and time with more effort to burn approximately 320 calories on a real bicycle. So prepare to cut your total calories burned in half.

How ever this is not a problem, I did not buy this to count calories, I've always known machines will greatly over exaggerate their calorie expenditures due to the inability to calculate the users fitness levels, Weight, BMI & BMR etc.

What I did buy it for was to simply sweat, and keep my heart rate elevated whilst watching a movie or tv to aid in my weight loss, which it does perfectly.

Settings 5-7 are great, I find 5 is perfect for pedaling without requiring much concentration, and 6-7 for more of a work out, 7 being about equal to a moderate pace on a real road bike.

Setting 8 I have found quite jerky, it doesn't feel very smooth so I decided not to use it unless I need to simulate a mild hill climb.

The seat after an hour was fine, I only felt slightly uncomfortable but this is to be expected on any exercise bike where your body weight is constantly shifting from side to side, where as on my road bike there are often times, during long straights or declines where I rest the majority of my body weight on one leg that is locked out onto the pedal.

The handle bars are firm and hold well accept for the very tip position, they bend and flex quite a lot.

I think I may end up removing the bars and screen, and attach something more useful , such as a more accessible drinks holder and more sturdy bars from a real road bike, or maybe something to hold my wireless keyboard and mouse.

Pro's:
- Affordable
- Looks great
- Easy to put together
- Almost silent, can't be heard at all whilst watching tv
- Does exactly what I've bought it for
- Settings 5-7 are smooth and closely match a moderate intensity found in real cycling.

Con's
- Handle bars don't feel very sturdy towards the top when held onto at moderate to fast pedaling speed
- Setting number 8 (the hardest) feels jerky and not as smooth as the other settings
- No real use for the information displayed on the screen since I feel everything but the time is over exaggerated especially the calories.

How ever I would buy it again for my needs, and I would recommend it to a friend who was looking to lose weight at home.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]