5.0 out of 5 stars More than a workout book, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body (The Build Muscle, Get Lean, and Stay Healthy Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I am a perennial workout magpie. I love finding the latest things, giving them a go for two weeks, getting sick and then giving up. The most recent workout plans I have tried (aside from simply going out for a run or a bike ride) are Mark Verstegen's Core Performance plan (Essentials, Standard and Endurance) and Todd Durkin's IMPACT! plan (similar to a p90x/Insanity-type workout). While they all have their merits (Durkin's in particular will kick your backside), they all have problems - mainly due to the equipment needed to perform some of the exercises and the time needed to do a workout (I think an IMPACT! workout, on average, was taking me around 90 minutes).

Now, as I was browsing Amazon for a few intersting things, I happened acros Mike Matthews' The Shredded Chef for pennies and decided to buy it. Based on the information in that book, and on Mike's website, I thought I'd give this one a try. Now, the Kndle version has its flaws and the book itself could perhaps be laid out a little more efficiently - it suffers, as most workout books do, from containing about 60 pages on what this book will do for you before it tells you how to do it - the information given in it is honest, straightforward, well researched (whether or not you agree with that research is up to you) and well explained.

The workouts are similarly straightforward and easy to follow (BLS is very very simple - lift progressively heavy weights using effective compound exercises, check your diet and don't go mad on the cardio). If you work out at home then you may need to make a few adjustments (there are some alternatives in the book and there are a plethora of muscle forums with ideas for you to try). I like the idea one reviewer gave of combining BLS and The Shredded Chef into one book, or at least having some detailed meal plans in BLS. But, as Mike says, diet is a very personal thing so I can see why you would leave that out.

BUT, the biggest thing with BLS (and any of Mike's other books) is that you are getting way more than the book. First off you get the freebies at the end of the book which, OK, don't work on a Kindle but you can download them from the link you get emailed. Then there's Mike's excellent website which is being regularly updated with choice articles, again well-researched and well written, and his Facebook page.

Finally, you get Mike. I've messaged him a few times with questions about the workouts and his responses have always been thorough and polite. You can see from the reviews here he has taken the time to connect with everyone whether or not they have given favourable reviews, to thank them for buying the book.

I've only been following the prgram for three weeks as I write this. I can tell that it is making a difference although the results are obviously not in quite yet. But the simplicity of the plan coupled with the relative ease and time taken to do the workouts (believe me, I'm lifting as much as I can but this workout plan focuses on low reps of heavy weights, so you're never kind of gasping for breath or screaming in agony) means I am more likley to stick with it.

Bottom line is, if you had paid £20 for this book you may expect that level of service from the author (or the author's megabucks corporation), but I paid less than £5 for this Kindle copy and I am getting a great book coupled with truly outstanding customer service from the author himself. I don't think you can ask for a lot more than that.

So, if you're a real cheapskate then just follow Mike on Facebook and visit his blog. He'll still talk to you. But if you want to see the kind of workout which has given him a pretty decent body then, for the price, it would be silly not to pick up a copy of Bigger, Leaner, Stronger.

[Add comment]