4.0 out of 5 stars Fat on Features, Slim in Price Cut, 1 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Sony PlayStation 3 Slim Console (120GB Model) (Video Game)
I previously owned the 80GB "fat" Playstation since December '08, but had nothing but trouble with it - three breakdowns, three refurb machines in replacement. It's no secret that the original 60GB models obviously contain better quality components, when Sony didn't consider profit margin.

The first thing you'll notice with this new model is the much smaller packaging, which I believe is a good move in itself as ridiculously large boxing only harms the environment through many different ways. The contents, however, is still the same as the previous generation Playstation 3;

- Console
- 1 x Control Pad (Built in rechargeable battery, charged via the USB cable, SixAxis Motion Sensor built in)
- 1 x USB cable
- 1 x Scart cable
- 1 x Scart block
- Power Cable (Now a 'kettle' lead due to the lower power consumption)
- Manual/leaflets

The pictures you'll see of the console do it absolutely no justice - beautiful is an understatement. While it's so much thinner, the surface area remains about the same, so the console has an almost 'squashed' look. The 'cut out' effect used near the disc drive gives the console a much simpler look that, to me, is more modern, and the reduction of exterior components gives it a neater look. Once in operation the fan noise is a tad quieter, but this depends on what you're doing. If the console is Idle, it no longer whirls up, and its almost silent when just sitting there. Naturally, the fans will whirl up during intense operations, but since such situations were relatively quiet anyway, I have absolutely no issue with the noise it makes.

A nice silver PS badge replaces the previous one above the disc drive, with no axis function. The Power/Disc buttons are no longer touch-sensitive, but to be frank I never understood why a games console needs touch-buttons anyway. They are now click-buttons that give a nice backlight glow when in operation. All the LED lights remain, though the power and disc (green/red and blue) lights are now smaller and directly above each button. During operation in dim light, it looks quite striking.

The PS3 contains a standard 2.5 inch Hard Drive that is easily replaceable - a screw and flap are all that need taking away. 2.5 inch Hard Drives are very cheap these days, so it's fantastic Sony offer you the easiest and cheapest option (the Xbox can only use Microsoft's Hard Drives with a specific moulded shape). Only thing I would say regarding I/O is that the only 2 USB ports are at the front, so you have the cables from an EyeCamera or other permanent peripherals on view which is annoying.

After using this on launch day, System OS 3.0 wasn't pre-installed on the console like Sony promised which was disappointing, but I expect newer consoles may have it installed ready. The new operating system, however, is a joy to use and picks up on many flaws of the old whilst adding new fantastic features, such as a dedicated BBC iPlayer program, Facebook posting, and lots more. Sony should really do a better job marketing these features.

The PS3 provides a fantastic interface and options for DVD and Blu-Ray playback - even better with the additional Remote Control. On our 27" wide TV, the results are stunning - it's such a shame that standard definition DVD's are, relatively, in a mid life cycle. What's most appreciative about the technology is that some of the older films we've bought (upscaled to HD using original cinema film) provide a whole new experience. 2001: Space Odyssey looks like it was filmed yesterday, while Disney Blu-Rays provide beautifully flawless artwork - almost as if they were modelled on a computer. Given Sony have done such a poor job marketing Blu-Ray, Disney have squeezed all the life out it it.

Finally, games. I'll get to the point - I'm not a "hardcore" gamer (the apparent term for considering it a hobby), but the reason I originally got the PS3 was because of the value games from different sources, such as Downloads from the FREE internet service 'Playstation Network' (built in Wi-Fi), and of course Disc. Contrary to popular belief, the PS3 and Xbox 360 actually both have strengths of their own. While the PS3's CPU processor (the brain, named 'Cell') is quite superior to the Xbox 360, the GPU (the graphics chipset, an RSX model) is actually inferior to the Xbox 360's.

Have I noticed a difference? No, not enough to start arguing. Both the PS3 and 360 offer unbelievable graphics, and we should be grateful for the age we live in.

I'll just point out that their is NO HDMI cable included in the box. If you want to use the console in High Definition, you will need to buy HDMI cable separately. If you're moving from an older PS3, back-up your PS1 game data individually (Press triangle above the save file, then Copy), as Copyright issues prevent them from being backed-up. Do the same for your original PS3 game saves for peace of mind! Also note that Game Content can't be copied over due to similar legal issues - you'll need to re-download them.

So why not 5 Stars? The price. Whilst I'm a firm believer that a Blu-Ray player and a games console that utilises this technology is a bargain at this price, not everyone is comfortable paying this, which is very understandable. And for the price, it would have been nice if Sony learnt from Microsoft and included cheap essentials, such as a HDMI cable, an ethernet cable, or even both. Instead, such accessories as the official headset, remote control, or keypad remain expensive extras which I feel is wrong. But if you accept that you're getting two pieces of technology which quite easily transform your entertainment, then you'll appreciate this is a wonderful machine that's now in better shape (excuse the pun) than ever.

I even remember the Sega Saturn costing £399 back in the early 90's...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Sep 2009 13:23:58 BDT
Baba Ijebu says:
Brilliant review. Thanks for the details.

I got the 160gb special edition, I travel a lot, is it worth getting a slimmer one?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2009 14:12:44 BDT
Picard says:
Thanks for the compliment - it's always nice to receive feedback.

My argument is this: If you find a good trade in price, definitely get it. Because it's so much slimmer, it'd be ideal for travelling even as just a stand along DVD player, and it will fit in my backpack (with padding) no problems. We recently took it on holiday and it was fantastic as it was much more portable. It's striking to see that it's actually smaller than most stand alone DVD players, and is even smaller than our new Sky box.

However, if you don't care for energy bills (the original PS3, like the 360, used a heck of a lot of power), space saving or reliability risks, then you may as well stick with what you have.

But in terms of the product alone, I can't fault it at all... Tom

Posted on 21 Sep 2009 14:02:42 BDT
R. J. Riley says:
i would just like to say i totally dissagree with the last paragraph in your otherwise good review i mean have you ever thought about pointing out the fact you have to pay £60 for a wireless adaptor on xbox 360? on ps3 its built in, also online gameplay on xbox 360? microsoft make you pay yet on ps3 its free!! To charge your joypad on PS3 is free of charge they throw a lead for that in the box, xbox 360? oh you have to pay for batteries or buy a recharger at an extra cost. Also you only get extras on the elite and now discontinued premium xbox's i really dont know how microsoft have manipulated people like yourself in to thinking they dont rip you off at every opportunity they possibly can while sony are continuously being placed in the rip off corner when everything needed is included in the box. Oh and fyi i do own both a 360 and ps3 and do prefer the latter as it has never broke and i am on my second 360 like so many others....

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2009 19:04:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Sep 2009 20:24:38 BDT
R.J Riley

The review character-limit has prevented me from entering further details - I therefore I had to cut down a lot of information.

However, I find it unfair you voted this review as a negative because you did not agree with the last paragraph. It's important to keep posting facts rather than opinions, and so it abuses the voting and reviewing system by posting silly comments in "fanboy" style fashion.

Posted on 23 Sep 2009 11:14:42 BDT
Ed says:

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2009 15:39:29 BDT
Picard says:
I'll consider re-writing phrases, but Amazon unfortunately do not process edits quickly. I've already revised the review twice and neither have been applied as yet.
I feel the technical (at least aesthetically) details are very much important, for this is a revised version a product that is, inside, pretty much the same. When talking about the primary feature, gaming, you have to be careful not to be to opinionated, and I've tried my best to just deliver the truth. Delivering opinions, such as "the Playstations games are far better", is not the best outlet, not only because it may not be true, but such phrases unfortunately cause "fan boys" to get raged and destroy their mouse attempting to click the Unhelpful Vote button.

Cheers

Posted on 26 Sep 2009 11:01:52 BDT
R. Green says:
Thank you, VERY helpful indeed, just 2 little things...
1. I think you cannot play your old ps2 games on this, so i think that is worth a mention AND
2. you said you have a 27" wide TV, when u get the chance I can VERY highly recommend...Panasonic TX-P42G10B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Plasma TV - ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!
Panasonic TX-P42G10B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Plasma TV with Freesat - Installation Recommended

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2009 17:22:55 BDT
Picard says:
Thanks R.Green - Again, when I am able to update the review, I'll note these things

Posted on 27 Sep 2009 23:37:48 BDT
Atticman says:
Hey Tom - I just read your great review and was planning on leaving a comment before I even realised it was you! Very nice work. As one of your previous commenters has said, I'd def go for a bigger TV when you get the chance. I have a pretty old Panazonic 37" plasma and even tho its only 720p it looks gorgeous.
In terms of games, I recommend the upcoming Uncharted 2 to really make the most of this console, it looks incredible.
I think the PS3 at this pricepoint is great value for money - I remember paying £150 for a secondhand Gamecube back in 1998 or so, which really makes the PS3 look like great value considering all the extra things it does - bluray, music, internet browser etc.
Unfortunately my 13 month old 40GB model has started having HDMI problems (blanks out intermittently) and as its now out of warranty I may have to fork over either £130 for a repair, or go the whole hog and get a slim. Hmmm.
Anyway, awesome review! Sorry for writing an essay!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2009 10:19:45 BDT
Picard says:
Yo Ash! Thanks alot - we rent our TV at the moment purely incase anything goes wrong, but we have been thinking of getting a bigger one. I imagine our 27" doesn't do the console justice!
Funnily enough my 80GB had HDMI problems too, that was one of the refurbs... Luckily this runs alot cooler so I imagine it's far more reliable. Whats quite funny is that people wonder why the 360 has heat problems - when it's CPU doesn't even have a dedicated fan directly over it, I'm not surprised.
Thanks again for popping by, as it were!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›