1.0 out of 5 stars Vastly Overrated, 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
I'm halfway through this book so will probably come back and add to this when I've reached the end of it.
Well, I nearly tossed this aside in disgust after not very many pages (but obviously persevered). I just cannot understand why the author and the book are so showered with praise from all directions. Why the references to it being 'literary'? I'm totally bewildered. A handful of literary references dropped in do not a great piece of writing make.
I find the writing dry, artless and clunky, and the characters totally unconvincing. The edition I'm reading has 'bookclub' questions at the back. How utterly pretentiousand patronising. Let's all pretend we're sitting our English Lit O level with Ms Lupton's book to guide us! I'm fully expecting the much hyped 'huge twist at the end' to be a pile of pants but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. Here's hoping and 'I'll be back'!
OK, finished the book now and I'll add one more adjective to my impression of the writing - laboured. I actually thought the 'twist' was quite well done but I'd partly predicted it 2/3 of the way through the book. I'm glad I've finished the book because my overriding feeling about it as I read, was irritation (I was intrigued by the promised twist though and didn't want to cheat and skim and jump to the end, glutton for punishment!). The incessant questions coming out of the mouth of 'Bee' in conversation. I started hearing the end of every one of these sentences rising as I read. Like much of the dialogue, it just didn't sit right.
Finally, I'm really shocked by the sentence structure and grammar in this book. The bloopers don't feel artistically licensed, just semi-literate.
Two parting thoughts - would be reader, don't bother, and 'I'm off to write a book'!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Aug 2011 17:10:00 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 11 Jul 2012 22:50:10 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2011 17:26:53 GMT
Steven says:
you really are even being stupid to get a rise out of people or you are genuinely a complete idiot.
Okay, I'll bite.
Firstly, I've not read the book yet (just about to start) and wanted to get a feel for what other readers thought about it. it may be that you don't agree with this 1 * review because it doesn't fit with your view about the book, but, that is called oppinion-- we don't all share yours. It may be that having read the book I disagree with this review and think its the best book ever written but I respect this reviewers comments as their view of the book. unlike some 1 * reviews it is a constructive review and outlines why, in the reviewer opinion, the book fell short.
so, my advice to you would be to stop trolling and finnish your home work because you've got school in the morning.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2011 17:40:39 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 11 Jul 2012 22:50:17 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 19:36:46 GMT
lol... just lol!
my school comment seems rather apt now after your "you looooooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeee heeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr" style comment. also, just because someone does something to you, do you need to do it back to them? haven't you learnt that two wrongs don't make a right? or don't they cover that until second year these days...
not angry at all matey, just think you are rather funny.
for what its worth, I've read about 6 chapters of the book and I'm quite enjoying it.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 19:54:40 GMT
Steven says:
by the way, I've just checked your profile to verify (or otherwise) your claims. is this an example of the insane posts?
'
What on EARTH are you talking about? You have a very perverse and distorted view of Geshe Kelsang and his Dharma publications.
You write bitter one-star reviews of every book of his and don't seem to be able to answer questions put to yourself or to engage in adult debate with anyone who dares to disagree with you. Ask yourself, are you a Buddhist?'
I think some valid points are made there bo be fair. I'm no Buddhist and never will be if you are an example of the kind of people buddhists are. you seem to have a particular vendettta against one author in particular, in a page and a half of your reviews I read 4 1 * reviews from yourself of their work. it seems strange to read stuff you clearly don't like-- and your comments to the criticism of the reviews shows you to be a pompous fool unable, or unwilling to accept that other people hold different views to yourself. I won't be debating with you anymore, as I can see from your reviews that debate isn't one of your strong points so I'll leave you to play on your own.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 13:09:45 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 11 Jul 2012 22:50:38 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 16:37:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2011 16:40:41 GMT
Steven says:
so, anyone who doesn't agree with you is part of some sect? I checked out your reviews (very quickly, in less than 5 minutes) and found nothing to warrant your childish claim of stalking. in fact, all I found was someone with a vendetta against a particular author (who I have never heard of by the way as I think all religions are ridiculous)
not sure where I've been a hypocrite, I've been clear from the start that I think you are a tiny bit weird. I'm not making too much of anything, you are just entertaining to wind up!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 16:52:41 GMT