3.0 out of 5 stars Great show, shame about the box., 16 May 2009
This review is from: The Sopranos - Complete HBO Season 1-6 - Deluxe Edition [DVD] (DVD)
For the actual show itself, The Sopranos is undoubtedly 5 stars. Fantastic cast, great storyline's and unlike no other show to hit our screens. Each episode is like a mini-film, and the direction in certain episodes, particularly Season 3, is incredible. However, my peeve is with the boxset itself. Despite looking great with plenty of good photography splashed across the sleeves of the disc covers, in order to keep the discs in the sleeve, the geniuses thought it would be a good idea to use glue! Granted the majority are slid in as expected, 5 or 6 are held in place by some really strong glue. Subsequently, in order to get a disc out, you have to peel the disc away from the sleeve and pray for no scratches. On one particular disk, gentle prying did not work and once forced out was covered in scratches, ruining 2 episodes for me in the process. I hope, for everyone else's sake, that my boxset may well have been a freak incident, as I have not heard of many other people having a similar problem, and it should not put you off watching one of the greatest shows in history.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jul 2009 12:17:34 BDT
D. E. Makris says:
I had the same issue unfortunately and one of my disks is now basically unplayable as I tried to wipe the glue off with alcohol but I think that all I accomplished was to damage it further. I need to check the whole collection to see if there are other disks stuck with glue but I was too disheartened to do so. Needless to say, I can't recommend this box, opt for one with plastic cases instead.

Posted on 2 Nov 2011 12:47:45 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Nov 2011 13:01:38 GMT]

Posted on 31 Dec 2012 14:33:42 GMT
a person says:
Thanks for your helpful review. Unfortunately, I did not read it until after I had ordered the boxset, and since then had been worrying about how it would arrive. I was pleased though to have read your comments in order that I could check it out right away when it arrived and be ready to return it if it caused damage to the discs as you'd mentioned. But the boxset arrived today and inside is each individual plastic case for each series; just like the single series are sold. But six DVD plastic cases all in one overall boxset. So, thankfully, the design was rectified and there is no such problem with this set any longer. I'm very relieved! And looking forward to getting into this much acclaimed drama that I missed on tv.
By the way, I just noticed your review was posted nearly four years ago now. Maybe it would be a good idea to delete or edit it? Because if I'd remembered to read the comments prior to purchase I almost certainly would not have bought this based on your review. And then I'd have missed out I reckon! Cheers :)

Posted on 16 Feb 2013 17:36:49 GMT

ross luxton says:

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2013 15:10:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Mar 2013 15:11:51 GMT
a person says:
A 40% score reduction over a packaging defect that renders the product unusable is unreasonable? I think it's very reasonable! Especially if you don't notice this problem straight away, say if it's on a middle series disc, so by the time you find the disc is ruined it's too late to return the product. That said, I wish the reviewer would update his review because the boxset now comes in an entirely different type of packaging and this problem has been solved. Seems kind of unfair to rate down the Sopranos now on that. It's a very old review.

Posted on 26 Jun 2013 16:40:36 BDT
Rick says:
Thank you Mr Harper, with ref; to the Sopranos box set.
I have purchased the box set, & I'm very much hoping, (fingers crossed) that my set will be alright (?).
I noticed you had one or two critics saying about your 'three stars' for Sopranos? But you are quite right. When you bought the boxset, you bought the the boxset - end of! If for any reason the boxset does not live up to expectations, we, (well, me anyway) the general public want to hear about it. So thank you Mr Harper for an honest review. As I understand it the sopranos boxset has been changed since your review, but this is more than likely because of your review (& others like us). Thank you.
Regards
Annie & Rick
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (476 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £74.93