5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive!, 3 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Canon PowerShot G10 14.7MP Digital Camera - 5x Optical Zoom, 3 inch PureColor LCD II Viewfinder - Black (Electronics)
I use a DSLR (20D and 40D) for 'serious' photographic opportunities (foreign travel, shows etc) but for just about everything else I use a compact for the portability. I want manual control of my camera so I've been using a Canon S80 for the last 3 years and to good effect but when the G10 was announced I became interested, primarily after seeing the sample images that Canon provided but also because it has a 28mm lens and I use wide angle more then telephoto. That's why the S80 was with me for so long: the 28mm lens!
So, my G10 arrived a few days ago and to be honest, despite the hype, I didn't expect to be that impressed. I thought it would be an S80 in a bigger case and with slightly higher resolution (and that's if Canon could pull it off: 14.7 megapixels on a tiny sensor is asking for trouble because of signal noise). Well ... it's amazing. The camera construction is solid but not as bulletproof as I'd been led to believe, however the S80 is very tough so I started high. The G10 is as solid as a low end DSLR excluding the lens assembly so no problem really but it's no 1-Series build. I got lucky and had no dead pixels on the monitor or sensor and my lens is sharp to the edges at 28mm.
In good light, or with flash, the image quality at 80 iso is excellent. It's far better than my old S80 and probably better than my 40D using a 17-85 EF-S lens. Even at 200 iso the images are usable but not noise does creep in. At 400 iso it's still printable but cropping would be unwise. At 800 iso we're into emergency only territory but a print might still work if not too big. After that it's a joke but that's to be expected.
The lens and autofocus are really very good. The AF locks well even in low light (there's a good AF assist lamp) and has a plethora of options including servo (full time focussing for moving objects and face recognition. All the usual SLR modes are present and more. The monitor is great and has a handy focus zoom mode that zooms the center of the monitor into the focus point when the shutter is half depressed allowing a focus precision check. This is optional by the way.
The G10 is fast and responsive compared to an S80. It's not as fast as my 40D but that's to be expected. Power on to lens deployment is very quick though.
The flash is actually quite good to my surprise. It doesn't blow the exposure as badly as compacts I've used before and feels like there's some 'intelligence' behind it. I've been getting good facial images with flash in low light that my S80 wouldn't go near. Note that there's a hot-shoe for a Speedlite but I've not had time to affix mine to test it yet.
The G10 has a vast number of options and modes. I've been messing about with the colour accent mode today. I can select a single colour in the image to appear in a mono (black & white) picture. I had a friend with a red umbrella posing and only the umbrella is in colour. As a compositional tool this is quite amusing. There's far more available: all the usual scene modes (Fireworks/Portrait/Landscape etc) and some novelties. More importantly the user can bypass all the automatic systems and work in full manual or a priority mode thereby having a photographic tool at their disposal.
RAW is possible as is (amazingly for a compact) RAW + JPEG.
Facial recognition mode works well. The G10 will lock onto faces in the scene and set itself accordingly to maximise the possibility of getting the faces right.
It has a shadow processing mode that I've not tried: it'll try and pull the detail out of dark areas in the image. Clever but I'd prefer to do that in PhotoShop myself.
Real time red-eye reduction is also an option. This is the computer spotting red eye in the capture image and trying to remove it rather than a pre-capture optical approach like flash strobing. Again, I'd rather use PhotoShop but in an emergency perhaps ...
I could go and on (you probably think I already have) but my summary is that the G10 is a great camera for the price and suitable for beginners to professionals to use as a primary (beginners) or backup (pros). In good light it'll keep up with most other cameras (with the possible exception of DOF control) and in poor light you'll be needing the flash.
Oh, and it fits perfectly in a Lowepro APEX 60 AW case.
Very very recommended!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Apr 2009 11:46:32 BDT
Petros says:
Hi
I enjoyede your review which I found helpful. One point that none of the reviewers have covered is whether there is a remote control access point. Reviewers mention the 'noise' at high iso levels and how good the G10 is at iso 80 or 100. Down at those iso's you probably are using slow shutter speeds and a remote control would be useful. Have you come across this problem and how have you coped with it?

Posted on 23 Apr 2009 17:47:36 BDT
soreleftfoot says:
I have an aging G5 I am looking to replace. Just not got around to it yet.
Another `G' was what I was planning on and this positive revue of the G10 was all I needed to get me going.

Posted on 5 May 2009 17:17:54 BDT
M. Maaytah says:
Found this, you G10 people may be interested, its from Canon. Canon started making new ones without the discovered fault. could anyone who bought from amazon advise if the amazon one are a new stock or the old faulty number?

Products with the following serial numbers are affected. Please check the serial number on the bottom of the camera to see if your camera is affected.

* Serial Numbers
Products whose fourth and fifth digits from the left indicate the following numbers may be affected.

Example:
***50*****, ***51*****, ***52*****,
***53*****, ***80*****, ***81*****,
***82*****, ***83*****

Among products with the serial numbers described above, if there is a marking on the lens side inside the battery cover like the one in the image below, the issue has already been corrected, and you may continue to use your camera as is with no further action required.

Marking Position

* For details about the marking on the LCD monitor side, please click here.

Phenomenon
As shown in the following image, lines may appear in images captured with some PowerShot G10 digital cameras.

USA:

UK:
__________________

Posted on 12 Aug 2010 10:54:58 BDT
A really great review, many thanks, it covered many of the points I wanted to know, especially RAW and JPEG can be saved together!

Posted on 12 Aug 2010 10:55:54 BDT
I'm wondering, does anyone know what A3 prints are like from this camera?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2011 19:12:17 BDT
J. H. Derham says:
All I can say is "stunning", well worth the expense of getting a suitable printer. I use an HP Photosmart Pro B8350 and print to A3+. Using HP inks and good quality matt coated paper the cost per print is about £2.50. Large prints reveal just how good the G10 really is. It runs my Canon EOS 50D a very close second.
Regards

Posted on 10 Sep 2012 11:33:26 BDT
spanteach says:
I still have a lot to learn about photography but your review makes me think I could manage a camera like this. Thank you
‹ Previous 1 Next ›