3.0 out of 5 stars It's a basic solution, but good nevertheless, 10 July 2008
This review is from: USB Turntable TTUSB05 (Electronics)
I received the TTUSB05 as a present, and very grateful I was to receive it. Like many others I have an extensive vinyl collection that I would like to convert to mp3. In my case I will store them on a Network-Attached-Storage device which I use for photos and music.

So, turntable unpacked, CD popped into laptop, software installed. I connected the turntable, ran the EZ software that comes with the unit and started to record my first LP (don't laugh, but it was Leonard Cohen's Greatest Hits).

An extremely easy process. I had no problems committing Bird on a Wire, Sisters of Mercy, etc. to mp3

Would I recommend this unit, well maybe ...

It has a few shortcomings that I guess would be addressed in more expensive units. The playing arm is plastic and the counter-weight cannot be adjusted. This meant that a couple of my older LPs skipped during playback. The quality of the cartridge/stylus unit is not what it could be.

It has left me wondering whether or not I could take the innards out of the unit and install them in my antique Pioneer PL12D turntable (all the rage in the 1970's!).

As to software supplied it is very intuitive to use and gave me no problems. It is centred upon sending everything to the iTunes folder, which might be a problem for some.

One thing that I did encounter was that my PC suddenly went quiet. This was because the software/turntable using a new speaker driver that only works for files streaming from the turntable. I had to reset the existing speaker driver as default before I could play the mp3s that I have created.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Dec 2008 13:20:27 GMT
John Doe says:
I have a PL12D turntable and was hoping that all these years later the same quality could be got at a really low price. It seems like transplanting electronics in to the PL is the way to go. Has anyone done this.

Posted on 15 Aug 2009 18:50:39 BDT
Jimifan1970 says:
You deserve 5 stars yourself for having a Leonard Cohen album. I've actually got a Richard Harris album (because of MacArthur Park) so I possibly deserve 6.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›