4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning TV with built in iPlayer & Netflix, but rather mediocre sound (and some incomplete 3rd party apps, at time of writing), 2 April 2014
This review is from: Sony KDL42W705B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart TV with Freeview - Black (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 1:47 Mins

📦 RECEIVING THE BOX
=============

📦 When I received the box, I was taken aback by how slim it was.

On the front :
- it says "Sony Bravia - feel the beauty". I thought that was pretty cocky! (I later realised it's warranted!)
- Also on the box [see the top left of this page - user photos] it touts a recommended *optional* accessory, a wireless subwoofer. (I'll come back to this later, when discussing sound)

INITIAL SET UP
===========

I initially set this up in the corner of the living room away from the cable box. It asked for me to select my WiFi network and then enter my password. [It was a midly annoying to do this using the on screen keyboard; thankfully you'll only ever have to do it once.]

It then asked if it could update itself. I accepted and it duly updated, with the white light at the bottom pulsing on and off [🎥 see video] for about a minute.

I was able to watch iPlayer (🎥see video) within minutes.

It's a boon that I could stream TV from the internet without any additional hardware; it's all built in. [It's like having a BUILT-IN Roku box or Apple TV! I've seen apps on TVs before, and this may be damning with faint praise, but this is the least-crap, most usable implementation I've seen of it].

KEY POINTS
========

✨The picture is stunning. You can tell as you flick through the menus.
🔊 The sound is a bit 'meh'. (It's a bit crap - maybe it improves dramatically with the purchase of that wireless sub advertised on the box)
👎 What's missing, at the time of writing, is the ability to watch 4OD (over the internet).
📀 When watching BluRay discs, the picture is good (as long as you're sitting across the other side of the room)

-----------

You can stop reading now unless you really want to read the boring minutiae.

The stuff below is optional reading. :)

MISC COMMENTS / OBSERVATIONS
=====================

- When using the SkyNews app [over WiFi], the resolution was crap. Massive "pixels" - very blocky. Disappointing. (this is when I'm sitting close to the TV.. from across the room, it actually looks fine)

- When using iPlayer, the picture was acceptable. I was able to go into settings and select HiDef [🎥see video].

- The Netflix app/interface is nice. I was able to sign up for a 1 month free trial. (It's 6 / month after that). [Alas, you do have to give it your credit card info]

- The power brick is pretty huge [🎥see video] - almost the size of the remote control itself [not that it matters, I suppose, as it will be tucked away out of sight]

- Whilst iPlayer worked well on day 1, on day 2 I kept getting error messages; nothing would play. Not sure if this is due to my ISP or the BBC or Sony. [I'll keep trying to get it sorted and update here, accordingly]

📡 This TV is good for "cord cutters". That is, people (usually nerds) who no longer want to pay for SkyTV or cable. You can get so much content over the internet now. If I was Mr Murdoch, I might feel a bit scared. (Not everyone is tech savvy; for people who want to use this like an old school TV, it works very well for that too. It's just a good all round TV.)

⌛️ There is a (slight) lag when opening apps. The apps themselves vary in quality. (I guess they are being continually iterated so could improve.) Some are good, some are shockingly crap - they don't even launch! Presumably, due to buggy code.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Apr 2014 19:38:26 BDT
hi great review, have you tried using a ps4 or any games console to the tv? What's it like and you think netflix will look good quality if i use the app through the ps4. I also use hulu plus and a big big blu ray fan and gaming fan

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2014 20:08:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 May 2014 23:07:33 BDT
Hey!

I don't KNOW the answer to your question but I'll make an educated guess!

It really depends on where you're sitting.

I have the 42in set, and the first time I hooked up a 1080p source I was disappointed; I was sitting close. Using the remote I adjusted something called the "overscan" and it improved a lot. The big dots became less noticeable. [On reflection, I think I've just become SPOILT by "Retina" displays and have unrealistic expectations sometimes].

I'd be interested in a comparison between the built-in NetFlix app and running in through the PS4. I wonder which is better - my guess is that it's better from the TV? For text and menus anyway.

My rationale for that: a lot of generated content (like text from menus and apps) are astonishingly sharp. Like, clearly higher than 1080p. IMHO, it kind of gives the illusion of ultra HD (like 4k).

The actual video content delivered by Netflix probably looks the same on both. (Can someone please check... I don't have a PS4?).

An aside: I recommend the 32in version (not the 42in one) unless your room is properly massive.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 00:18:49 BDT
thanks i bought this TV in silver, the picture is stunning Sony always looks the best quality :P

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 15:23:33 BDT
LJD says:
Did you compare Netflix via your PS4 vs the built-in Netflix?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2014 03:46:09 BDT
yeah, i found that netflix looks better on the ps4 because its running through a hdmi lead picture looks stunning :)

Posted on 26 Jun 2014 14:52:57 BDT
Hello,

Can you download Plex Media Server app? This application would be fantasic to have on the TV as i could then access any movie from my Mac.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2014 18:40:39 BDT
LJD says:
Hey Laurie, I don't know actually. Could you please ask at http://www.amazon.co.uk/KDL42W705B-42-inch-Widescreen-Smart-Freeview/forum/Fx11VZMNVWKE9IS/ ?

Posted on 9 Jul 2014 20:01:17 BDT
Hi, how many Hz does this tv have?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›