ARRAY(0xa52d4f60)

5.0 out of 5 stars One Giant Leap for Mankind!, 12 Feb 2011
This review is from: Metacognitive Therapy for Anxiety and Depression (Hardcover)
Over the last ten years I have gone through many of the different counselling programmes on offer through the NHS, including basic counselling, trauma counselling, CBT and Beat the Blues- not to mention the thousands spent on private treatments. Some of these treatments offered short term improvements, but none provided long lasting gains I could retain.

The physical response of my anxiety was so great, at one point I had to have an operation to enable me to urinate properly. The heart palpitations perfectly mimicked what I imagine having a heart attack would be like and the constantly active mind (worry) sent me into bouts of spiralling depression with no escape in sight.

My search for a cure to what started off as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and later developed into the broader Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) led me to a book called `Cognitive Therapy of Anxiety Disorders' (same author), which in turn led to this current publication.

The book is very well written and there is minimal technical jargon in it. It is aimed at practitioners, rather than to be used as a self-help guide, but, nonetheless after some time spent slowly digesting the relevant chapters, massive gains can be achieved.

The concepts are logical and the content is fairly straight forward after the initial understanding. There are individual rating scales, treatment plans and process diagrams for GAD, OCD, PTSD and MDD, plus more general chapters which detail the common themes.

There are examples of behaviour, which I could immediately relate to and begin to question my own behaviours. Hypothetical questions gave me something productive to think about, stimulated recovery and enabled me to see the bigger picture. There are experiments to challenge unhelpful beliefs and enable new, more helpful counter evidence to generate a `new plan' for processing information.

The book clearly describes the technique of `Detached Mindfulness', which is a key component to the therapy. This allows thoughts to be treated as `events in the mind', rather that actively engaging with them in the first place. This means that the content of thoughts and worries is largely irrelevant and things can be treated in a more logical problem solving manner.

I cannot rate this book highly enough. From a personal perspective it has turned my life around and the future (which wasn't looking too promising) is now looking bright. In my opinion, the NHS fails to successfully treat conditions like mine and advances such as this have the potential to save large amounts of money- I'm sure I have cost the tax-payer a small fortune unnecessarily, when treatments such as this could be available.

Since I picked the book up eighteen months ago, I have unravelled my condition back to the route cause and come off all medication, that included a maximum dose of the beta blocker propranolol. I have travelled to Australia on my own, done a sky dive, a bungee jump and climbed Mount Kilimanjaro......,things that GAD suffers may believe will never be possible for them.

My condition is more complex and I am under the care of a clinical psychologist to round off my own progress, but I believe a full recovery is only a matter of time.

Thanks again to Professor Wells, at al, and I hope this review is useful to whoever reads it. Good luck and best wishes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Dec 2013 18:32:40 GMT
This review may be old, but, if you still have an Amazon account i truly hope everything is working out for you. Your story is inspiring. I too have many issues of the same nature, some of the same physical aspects as well. I am going to purchase this book and see if it can lead me somewhere better as well. Thank you for your review.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2013 12:31:43 GMT
GWoo says:
Benjamin! Thanks so much for your message and your kind words. The review may be getting on for three years old, but I stand by everything I wrote. The book really was the turning point for me and I'm pleased to say the results have been long lasting.

Good luck with the book, have a great Christmas and I'm sure 2014 will be a positive New Year for you. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

5.0 out of 5 stars (6 customer reviews)

45.00