5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Ricoh GR Expert Compact Digital Camera - Black (16MP) 3 inch LCD Screen (Electronics)
I don't normally write reviews but I feel compelled to do so with the Ricoh GR as I'm just so impressed. My main camera is a Nikon d7100 and 99% of the time I have a prime lens on it and my most usual photographic subjects are my kids. The only problem with the dslr is that it's just not always practical to take it with me when I'm out and about with the kids due to its size, but my old point and shoot camera, although decent enough, just annoyed me as the quality was so far behind my d7100 that it didn't inspire me to take it with me. Consequently I felt I was missing out on a lot of everyday moments of the kids that I really wanted to be able to get a decent photo of.

Then I discovered the existence of this amazing camera! Wow! Incredibly similar sensor to the d7000 and it is apparent that, though this may look like a point and shoot, it is anything but (though of course you can use it that way if you want but that would be a waste!). I'm stunned by the image quality, the shallow depth of field I can achieve thanks to the large sensor and fast lens (especially in the fantastic macro mode) and how well it performs at high ISOs. There is definite noise at high ISOs, but as another reviewer said, it is somehow good noise and almost adds to the character of those images. I love how I can customise pretty much every aspect of this camera - the various function buttons, how it focuses, and all the tweaks you can make to how it processes the image in camera.

The one thing that concerned me before buying it was the focal length. It's so much wider than I normally shoot with, but now I actually have the camera I wouldn't change it. It's wide enough to get everything in shot indoors and the quality is so good that I can crop if I want to later. Or, there's an in built function so with the press of a button you can change it to 35mm instead (though this takes the image down to 10mp and doesn't alter your depth of field, but still excellent quality images and handy to have in-camera).

There are so many neat functions that this camera has that I could go on forever, and I think most of them have been covered really well in the other reviews. One feature that I wasn't aware of until I got the camera out of the box and started reading the manual though is that it has an in-built interval composite mode. I love taking star trail photos, and this mode seems especially designed for this purpose - the manual even gives you instructions on how to do it. You set up the shot you want, tell it how often to take the photo, and it will do the rest until you tell it to stop. You can even half press the shutter button while it's doing it and see what your composite image is looking like so far. Although it won't replace my d7100 and computer software as my main equipment for this purpose, it's amazing to know that if I'm ever caught out with only my Ricoh GR on a starry night, I can still get the shot!

How is a camera this size so clever?! If you're reading this review considering buying it, do it! It certainly won't ever replace my dslr as my main camera, but I'll be carrying this one around in my bag all day everyday, safe in the knowledge that I will always be able to get a fantastic quality photo whenever I want. Just brilliant!

[Add comment]