5.0 out of 5 stars Not quiet at all!! I think people aren't using them correctly, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: P4C (Accessory)
Firstly, I have to admit that I didn't buy these from Amazon. I would've done, but I was impatient and there was an Argos on my way home from work. At the time of writing, Amazon are a few pound cheaper though.

For under 20, I wasn't expecting the best quality, but I have to say I'm happy with them. My wife has got an 90 set of Turtle Beaches, so obviously they're not the same quality as those, but they are much better than the standard PS4 one that comes with the console.
They're pretty comfy (even after 4 hours of playing) and they've got so much adjustment that you can have them as loose or tight as you like. I wear glasses for gaming and they didn't interfere with them at all, or put any extra pressure on that bit above or behind my ears.

Now for the bit that seems to be the most complained about - The ear speaker volume.
In preparation I made sure all the volumes were on max, after reading reviews about being so quiet. I went into Battlefield 4 with a mate who was using the mic and earpiece that came in the PS4 box and the first time he said something I nearly went deaf.
I had to quickly turn it down. My wife was sitting about 3 metres away and she could hear my friends voice coming from my headset.

I honestly don't know what the problem is with the ones in other peoples reviews. I can only guess that there was either a PS4 update that addressed the quiet output, people are playing all sounds through them and not just chat, or people haven't got ALL the volumes adjusted correctly.
There are 3 volume controls: One on the PS4 Settings menu, one in the Battlefield 4 options menu in game and one on the headset cable.
I've got my PS4 volume set to 70%, the in game VOIP volume at 70% and then I adjust it as needed using the little volume controller on the cable that goes from the Turtle Beach to the Dualshock4.

One other thing to check is that the PS4 is set to only send chat to the headphone. These are only meant to be used as a communicator and aren't designed to play all your games sounds and music through! They've got a small speaker with an open design for a reason - to hear chat, while allowing the sound from your TV or s/s system to be heard.

Overall, I'm very happy with them. I've got a decent surround sound system in the living room, so these were perfect. I can still hear the s/s perfectly, but also can hear the chat in my ear.
Just make sure you know what they're designed for before buying them.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]