5.0 out of 5 stars Great bundle, 5 Dec. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo Wii Console (Black) with Wii Fit Plus and Balance Board + Motion Plus Controller (Wii) (Video Game)
This bundle has everything you need to get you started (except a TV to plug it into), although if you want to have a tennis match against a live opponent rather than the system mii (a cartoon character), you'll need a second Wii Remote Plus Wii Remote Plus - Black or alternative brand. If you want to box (virtually) against a real opponent, you'll need an additional nunchuk as well Nintendo Nunchuk Controller - Black (Wii). However, for solo exercising, it provides everything. The wii and balance board are easy to set up and simple to use. It comes with the latest Wii Remote Plus which has the motion sensor built in, instead of as an add on. It can support four Wii Remotes for multiple play. There are two options included for connecting to the TV - Composite and SCART, but no HD support which is surprising since HD ready TVs have been the norm for several years. Serious gamers may find the graphics a little lacking, but they seem fine to us.

If you haven't used wii fit before, it takes various measurements like weight, balance, etc to work out your wii fitness age. As you progress your wii fitness age should decrease. Don't worry if you share your machine because you can hide all the grisly details of your weight, BMI, wii fitness age, etc by PIN number. For the slimmers, you can also set yourself targets, both in weight loss over a period of time, and calories you want to burn per session. You also get your choice of personal trainers, and you can use a preset group of exercises to target specific areas or just pick them ad hoc to suit your needs.

The exercises start at a fairly gentle beginner level although you can move up to advanced. Like computer games, your scores are recorded, and it's great to see the improvement day by day. There are additional training exercises, which comprise the "plus" part of wii fit. Things like segway, cycling, etc, which might seem a bit odd considering you are stationary, but they seem to work by leaning in different directions and walking in place on the balance board. The yoga and balance games are a good way to help warm up and cool down. The exercises may not be difficult enough for some hard-core gym addicts, but they are fine for the majority of people. If you want a really difficult workout there are plenty of wii exercise discs/games on the market both on Amazon and other retailers. I understand that The Biggest Loser for wii The Biggest Loser Challenge (Wii), which you can find for under a tenner, will definitely make you feel the burn and have aching muscles the following day, if that's what you're after.

wii Sports, which comes on a second disc, can be added towards your daily exercise goal, as can any non-wii exercise. The training is obviously originally designed for the US market with things like ten pin bowling and baseball, but it does also have tennis, golf and boxing. We would have liked to have seen cricket on it for batting and bowling practice, but you can't have everything. Like the wii fit, wii Sports gives useful tips to improve your game.

A nice inclusion is the ability to weigh your pets (cats and dogs), after you have weighed yourself, by just holding the animal when you are on the balance board. This is great if you have your pets on a special diet or need to watch their weight. Although they can't do any exercise on the wii, the little avatars of your pets often pop in to join you on various wii fitness exercises like jogging, cycling and segway.

If you are debating on whether to get a wii fit or not, I'd definitely recommend buying one, whatever your age or ability. You can do as little or as much as you like, fitting it in around your lifestyle, and it sure beats going out in horrid weather to get your daily exercise. It's also a lot of fun, so even sofa spuds will want to exercise. With additional handsets Wii Remote Plus - Black the whole family can exercise and play together.`

FIRST MONTH'S UPDATE: Although improving fitness had been the primary goal for me, I've lost 8lbs lost in the first month which included the Christmas period, so wii fit definitely works, and I have gone from sceptical to convert. You can do a body test each day and this records your weight, so it is a great incentive to avoid overindulging. I do 45 minutes to 2 hours using the wii fit or wii sport games each day. You can feel virtuous while having fun, and even if you only have 10 minutes to spare, it's so easy to turn on and have a couple of games. However, it is addictive and you'll find yourself doing 30 mins before you realise it. It's proved so popular over the holidays, most of the activity has been multiple user. It was certainly a lot more enjoyable than slumping in front of the telly after Christmas dinner. We had a wide range of ages and abilities and we've all loved it, whether playing solo or together. My wii fit age has fluctuated between 27 and 75, so I don't think it is a measure of anything other than how alert (or hungover) you are at the time. The batteries in the wii remotes last about 20-25 hours, so I would recommend one of the many chargers available if you use your wii as much as us. We've bought an inexpensive Invero Black Nintendo Wii Twin Dual Charging Station Charge Dock Stand with 2 Rechargeable Battery Packs plus LED Light for Wii Remote Control and it works fine once you find the miniscule on/off switch on the back. We use it on both the sitting room and family room televisions, so an inexpensive duplicate wired sensor bar Micropix - Replacement Wired Sensor Bar For Nintendo Wii means we don't need to prise it off and restick the bar to the TV each time. I got Just Dance (Wii) for Christmas and this is absolutely hilarious, whether as a dancer or spectator. I can't remember when we have laughed so much. It's good exercise too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Dec 2010 17:31:39 GMT
Jane says:
Very useful information as I was unsure what else I needed. I wasn't sure if it needed to plug into a computer or a telly. Ordered this bundled item after reading this recommendation, together with extra motionplus and nunchuck.

Posted on 14 Dec 2010 12:39:32 GMT
Excellent review Juliette ...thank you for taking the time. I've just ordered this bundle as an Xmas present for my mum!

Kind regards

LLS

Posted on 15 Dec 2010 18:57:16 GMT
A Customer says:
Great review! Very helpful. Thanks.

Posted on 6 Apr 2011 08:16:06 BDT
Hi Jullette, I see the age fluctuation is between 27 and 75, I am 73 so does this mean that I will only receive a feed back for 2 years. Do I need to contact Wii direct.......Other than my question your review is really useful and may buy one if the age question is sorted.
John

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2011 10:13:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Apr 2011 10:15:16 BDT
Juliette says:
Hello John, the Ninendo Wii Fit shows whatever YOUR wii fit age is, but don't be disheartened that instead of 73 years old it shows you are 99 years or something one day if you don't get the hang of one of the tests in time. I have that problem. But on the plus side when you do particularly well at a test it might show you at a sprightly 33! I was just remarking that my age fluctuates between these 27 and 75 years depending how well I do on the tests, particularly if I don't understand a new test in the time given. My age is pretty much in the middle of that range.

I'd really recommend buying a wii fit. I am sure you won't regret it. We absolutely love it and that includes an age range of 3 to 87. In fact the 87 year old beats us at the golf and ten pin bowling every time! All of us are feeling fitter, more flexible with less creaking of joints and I've managed to lose a stone in 3 months so I'm really delighted.

Posted on 13 Jul 2011 13:46:46 BDT
janetjones says:
thanks for an excellent review. Lots of interesting information. I did not realise that I would need a charger so that the Wii is always ready to go.

Posted on 6 Dec 2011 12:15:28 GMT
DKL says:
Excellent review. Are you still using the Wii? I recently purchased a Wii console together with the board and will try to do some exercising soon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›