5.0 out of 5 stars Triple Play Versions: Love the films, Hate the UV/Flixster Copy, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes [2009] / Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows [2011] (Blu-ray + DVD) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
The good news is that what I actually got in the Sherlock Holmes Collection [Blu-ray] was the Triple Play Editions of both films, including Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital Version, in a cardboard sleeve. As this is (at time of writing) only a couple of pounds more expensive than the triple play version of A Game of Shadows on it's own.

However, the bad news is that the Digital Versions are Ultraviolet downloads. If you want to claim them you'll have to: Sign up for a Flixster Account, Install their downloader/player on your computer, install their app on your iOS or Android device and use that and only that to watch your films. The files have been locked against other players. If you want a digital version of these films, you'll have to use their platform.

Obviously, if you like the Flixster app/player, no problem. It downloaded the files and played them just fine. But as consumers who are willing to pay the asking price for legal copies of new films, we don't deserve to be taken advantage of. Which is how I see this. You when you buy a triple play bundle you don't get asked 'Do you want itunes downloads or Ultraviolet downloads?,' you just get what is in the bundle. So we as consumers, don't get a choice of how to watch the films we paid for, on the devices we paid for. Does that sound fair to you? Ironically, you can get exactly what you want, on the platform that you want, if you are happy to download it illegally, (which I'm not.)

Physical discs aren`t tied to a certain manufacturer's players (even if BD technology all gets licensed from Sony) and neither, I think, should digital versions of movies. It doesn't really matter whether one app is better or worse than another. People will have their preferences, and since they are paying, they should have a choice.

I think both films are great and I don't have the heart give them a low rating just because of Ultraviolet/Flixster. You'll find plenty of reviews telling you how good they are, on amazon and elsewhere. I'm not too disappointed, as I primarily wanted the Blu-rays for main TV viewing and the DVDs to watch on my laptop. But, I thought it might be useful to share the above info with anyone else, so they know what they're getting. Personally, I think optical media are still the way forward until distribution companies get their act together. Highest quality, widest compatibility, simple choice.

Update:
After a bit of googling I found that Flixster had given itunes codes to customers who had problems with the Green Lantern and Harry Potter Part 7 back in Nov 2011, so I emailed Flixster support link, to see if they would help me. Their first email was just a generic FAQ and advertising for their app, which appears to be their standard response. I replied that it was a shame that they didn't want to try and solve my problem. They emailed back and asked for a time to contact me. I'm still waiting for the call.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Jul 2012 22:58:53 BDT
BigBoy says:
A note about the salient chess theme in "A Game of Shadows" - How could Adam Raoof not have spotted that the black King and Queen are positioned incorrectly (the wrong way round) on the chess board in Moriarty's college office scene at [0hrs:39mins:56secs]? The initial chess piece layout in the film in this scene at [0hrs:39mins:56secs] clearly shows the black Queen placed on a white square (sheer craziness), thus positioning it directly opposite white's poor King!! A tragic movie mistake that spoils the whole film for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 19:09:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Dec 2012 19:11:59 GMT
This review is fair comment.

We were promised so much from DVDs and BluRay but for many/most of the latest releases (premium priced) there is zero value added and format irritations as you point out.

There are a few exceptions (eg TinTin - fantastic collection of extras).

The huge Pirate market is the failure of the legitimate studios to give their customers content and value. That they do not seem to appreciate this certainly costs them massive sums of money.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 19:21:45 GMT
Stuart, you are quite right about the Tintin set. I don't think there is any format left out! And that will be under the tree this Christmas ;-)

To be honest this stuff bugs me because I don't want to fuss over what format I'm using, whether it is on a blu ray or dvd, mac or pc, this app or that. At the end of the day we just to watch films, with decent pictures and sound. I'm sure other people feel the same.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 19:46:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Dec 2012 19:53:39 GMT
Yes 100% and you (we) are entitled to be bugged - and as the other comments show many agree.

At the prices we pay there must be a good margin for extra content and multi format.

The truth that 'dare not be spoken' is the pirate stuff is not that bad and the illegal downloads are easy to access. Lemmings ......

Btw I have been impressed how much the DVD upscalling has added life to my library of DVDs. It is so good it can be distracting (for example watched a couple of standard DVD issues of "24" and they hit Blu-ray quality). All my equipment is Sony.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›