4.0 out of 5 stars Initially disappointed but now love it!, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy SIII Smartphone (16GB, UK Sim Free Unlocked) - Marble White (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I've had my iPhone 3GS for over two years now so it was time to upgrade. I felt there was no point paying the premium for an iPhone contract for a technically inferior product, so an S3 was duly ordered.

Never having used Android before, it took a while to get used to. There are some really basic oddities out of the box. Why can't you turn off the background image? (I had to draw a black rectangle) Why is the minimum brightness (1/255) still so bright? At night it was ridiculous. Thankfully this was fixed by downloading an app called "Lux", but surely this should be built into the device?

Anyway, once I'd got past the slight nuances of Android I began to download apps and widgets (a new novelty for a previous iPhone user). I had to learn from you-tube how to do certain things, such as screen shot (swipe palm left to right) and how to access the camera really quickly (setting up the icons on the lock screen is buried in the settings->security menu). Now I know what I'm doing the phone is an absolute dream!

The screen is magnificent. The camera is magnificent inside and outside. I can unlock the screen and take a photo within 3 seconds, brilliant!

I have noticed a few slow downs which is surprising, but nothing like my old 3GS which was basically a dog but to be fair, pretty old).

My only gripe is that the construction lets it down and it's also a bit slippery in dry hands. I've had to buy a soft silicone case, but that's no bad thing for extra protection.

In conclusion, Android is not as intuitive as iOS out the box, but once everything is configured correctly it completely blows the iPhone away. A good value S3 contract seems to be at least five pounds a month cheaper than an equivalent iPhone contract. You would have to be completely deranged to get the iPhone, it is medieval in comparison. I'll never go back to rip-off Apple.

Get the S3, you won't be disappointed (after a bit of tinkering and configuring)!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Jun 2012 17:53:52 BDT
I could not agree more, the advantage for me though was that i had my first android phone with the htc desire, so i was already used to android, i thought that they could not really improve much on that phone, but the s3 is amazing! why do people still buy apple products?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2012 14:16:47 BDT
M. Scott says:
I had the exact same feeling. After so long with an iPhone, having something so big and different was a shock to the system and I was sure i'd made the wrong choice. Having used it more though I am now finding it a very nice phone to use and a lot of the options are better than the iPhone even if I still the think the iPhone 5 looks and feels much better as well as being easier to get started with. A lot of fiddling about though has given me some nice options on my S3 that I wouldn't have the customisation available for if I had gone for an iPhone 5. Basically not much between the two and much of my reasoning behind abandoning Apple revolves around what is becoming increasingly bad customer relations and lack of options.

Posted on 5 Oct 2012 22:40:31 BDT
GabeLogan says:
welcome to the Android world people! At last people are seeing the light! Some of my colleagues are also buying Android phones, abandoning thwir iphone4 etc. Also owners of the ipads are buying the Google Nexus 7, and I was approached by a colleague today who owns the latest ipad, asking for help with rooting hix Nexus 7 !

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 18:02:15 GMT
i also agree i have had iphone 3gs and upgraded to 4s but i have had it 6 months i was waiting for iphone 5 but apple again disappoints me joining android and will never go back i am getting the s3 for christmas yay cant wait
‹ Previous 1 Next ›